Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between a preadoption medical review and a preadoption consultation?
The preadoption consultation is for families who have not yet received a referral for a specific child and who are at beginning stages of the adoption process. Your agency may have given you a list of potential diagnoses and conditions to find out which ones you are equipped and willing to parent. You may be considering a domestic, infant adoption and have general questions regarding various prenatal exposures. This is the preadoption consultation. The medical review is for families who have received a referral.
What does the preadoption consultation cost?
The preadoption consultation costs $400. There is also a GROUP OPTION:
2 families ($300 per family)
3+ families ($225 per family)
Families participating in the group consultation option must be considering adoptions from the same country and from a similar age group. The group of families must designate one point person to communicate with the AMC administrative specialist in order to schedule a group consultation.
How do I pay for a preadoption consultation?
What does the preadoption medical review cost?
The Adoption Medicine Clinic Preadoption Medical Reviews are paid via credit card. The fee schedule is as follows:
24-hr medical review ($700 weekdays, $800 weekends and University of Minnesota holidays)*
72-hr medical review ($550 new client, $450 return client)
* Please allow for 24 or 72 hours during business days Monday-Friday. Weekend responses are only done on request and weekend rates start on Friday at 4:30 p.m. and end at 11:59 p.m. CT Sunday. Holiday rates start 4:30 p.m. the night before the holiday and end at 11:59 p.m. CT the day of the holiday.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have uploaded documents to your file, our medical reviewer begins to work on the review. Thus, we cannot offer a refund once this review process has begun.
How do I upload files to the submission system?
You can upload as many files as you have to the Log system, but you must work in batches of 5. Please do not upload zip files. Please also combine all photos in a single PDF.
Watch this 90-second screencast to see a demo:
What browser works best for the new submission system?
The submission system works best with Firefox or Chrome on a PC or with Safari on a Mac.
I am having trouble uploading my information. Can someone help me?
What information is helpful for the preadoption medical review?
1. Child's birth history, including:
Height, weight and head circumference
Maternal history: infection, medications, alcohol/cigarette use, other pregnancies and outcome
Type of delivery and complications, if any
Post delivery complications, if any
2. Family (maternal and paternal) history of hereditary diseases
3. Social history: primarily the reason why the child is available for adoption
4. Physical exam including: current height, weight, and head circumference.
5. Lab screens: Complete blood count with differential, hepatitis B surface antigen, HIV 1 and 2 antibodies, screen for syphilis, hepatitis C antibody
Face: looking into the camera, mouth in a neutral position
Any abnormal skin or limb or other findings on exam
7. Video(s): Most helpful if the footage is focused on the child and captures the child in motion.
8. Developmental milestones: gross and fine motor/social/language skills (see American Academy of Pediatrics Ages and Stages site for milestone info)
9. Medical history (e.g., any problems identified since birth such as congenital heart or kidney disease; developmental delay; etc.)
If you don't have all of this information, please go ahead and send us what you do have. We will review the existing information and help you put together a list of additional questions to ask your agency.