Keith Wirth, MD
MD, State University of New York Downstate
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Undergrad: University of Pittsburgh
Awards: Excellence in Basic Science Research, University of Minnesota Dept. of Surgery, Jackson H. Stuckey Award for Outstanding Surgical Research, SUNY Downstate - 2014, Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship - 2011, Neuroscience Research Excellence Award (U. of Pittsburgh) - 2010, NIMH Undergraduate Research Fellowship - 2009-10
Medical Interests: Surgical Oncology
Hobbies/Interests: Biking, walking my dog
Why I chose Minnesota: Aside from the excellent clinical and research opportunities, I was drawn to the U by the camaraderie and strong cohesion of the residents.
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Research Assistant SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY 2013-2014,
Mentor: Dr. Gainosuke Sugiyama MD, FACS, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery
- Assist in manuscript writing, IRB protocol composition, and data analysis.
- Research Coordinator SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY 2012-2014
Mentor: Dr. Aliu Sanni, MD, Chief Surgical Resident
- Assist in study design, manuscript writing, IRB protocol composition, and data analysis.
- Research Fellow University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 2010
Mentor: Dr. Manuel C. Vallejo Jr. MD, DMD, Professor and Director of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Review and analysis of the original study data, manuscript writing, data collection.
- Research Fellow University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 2008-2010
PI: Dr. Peter L. Strick, PhD, Distinguished Professor & Chair of Neurobiology, Co-Director, Center for Neuroscience, Co-Director, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Mentor: Dr. Isabelle Billig, PhD, Senior Scientist
- Investigated cerebro-cerebellar loops, using transneuronal transport of rabies virus.
- Worked independently performing virus injections using a stereotaxic instrument, perfusions, sectioning and immunoprocessing, cell distribution analysis with a computer based system, presented data monthly, and composed an undergraduate thesis.
- Research Assistant University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 2006-2007
to Dr. Rohan Ganguli, PhD, Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and Chief, Recovery in Serious Mental Illness, Western Psychiatric Institute
to Dr. Jaspreet S. Brar, M.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Gathered data and organized results from database searches for a meta-analysis.
- Wirth K, Malone B, Turner C, Schulze R, Widmann W, Sanni A, A Structured Teaching Curriculum for Medical Students Improves Their Performance on the NBME Shelf Examination in Surgery, The American Journal of Surgery. Accepted for publication, In press.
- Wirth K, Malone B, Barrera K, Widmann WD, Turner C, Sanni A, Is there a place for medical students as teachers in the education of junior residents?, The American Journal of Surgery (2014), doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.11.001.
- Wirth K, Leung P, Patcha P, Sanni A, “Perceived Quality Improvements Using Daily Allocation of Surgical Residents to the Operating Room and Outpatient Clinics,” Journal of Biomedical Education, (2013) doi:10.1155/2013/164746.
- Singh S, Wirth K, Phelps A, Badve M, Shah T, Sah N, Vallejo M. “Epidural Catheter Placement in Morbidly Obese Parturients with the Use of an Epidural Depth Equation prior to Ultrasound Visualization,” The Scientific World Journal (2013) doi:10.1155/2013/695209.
- Badve M, Wirth K, Vallejo M. “Expert opinion: Management of post dural puncture headache.” Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology Expert Opinions, 2011.