MD, University of Minnesota Medical School
Ph.D., Physiology, University of Minnesota, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology, 2018
B.S., Microbiology, University of Minnesota, 2010
Mayank is doing his residency at the University of Texas - Southwestern in Child Neurology and Neuroscience.
Dissertation Title: Cross talk between skeletal muscle stem cell and endothelial cell Advisor: Atsushi Asakura, Ph.D. Date of Final Defense: March 9, 2018
Dissertation Title: Cross talk between skeletal muscle stem cell and endothelial cell
Advisor: Atsushi Asakura, Ph.D.
Date of Final Defense: March 9, 2018
Awards & Recognition
Research Funding Grants
- F30 pre-doctoral award through NIAMS/NIH (1F30AR066454) (2015-2019)
- Finalist, Regeneron Prize for Creative Innovation (cash prize) (2014)
- SigmaXi Grant-in-aid of Research Grant (2014)
1.Serene Josiah, Thomas M Luby, Atsushi Asakura, Mayank Verma, Dennis Keefe, Lawrence Charnas. Anti-Flt-1 Antibodies in treating Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. U.S. International Application No. PCT/US14/13402, filed January 28, 2014. U.S. Utility Patent Application No. 14/763,881, filed July 28, 2015
First Author - In Preparation
- Verma M, Redwan A, Arpke R, Cordero-Ortiz C, Baik J, Swanson SA, Stewart T, Kyba M, Thomson JA, Perlingeiro RCR, Magli A.Foxg1 is an evolutionary conserved regulator of diaphragm satellite cells.
- Verma M, Asakura Y, Asakura A. VEGFA-FLT1 axis protects satellite cell from apoptosis during muscle regeneration.
Submitted to Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Bosnakavski D, Shams A, Angelo Y, Silva MT, Ener ET, Baumann CW, Lindsay AJ, Verma M, Asakura A, Lowe DA, Kyba MA. Imprinted fibroadipogenic progenitor abnormalities due to permanent or transient DUX4 expression. Submitted June 2019.
- Verma M, Shimizu-Motohashi Y,Asakura Y, Ennen JA, Bosco J, Zou Z, Fong GH, Josiah S, Keefe D, Asakura A. Amelioration of muscular dystrophy phenotype in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) model mice by FLT1 blockage in endothelial cells. In revision.
- Verma M, Asakura Y, Asakura A. Antagomir92a treatment increases blood vessels and satellite cells in muscle but does not improve DMD related phenotype. Muscle Nerve. 2019;59(5):594-602. PMID: 30698289.
- Lindsay A, Larson AA, Verma M, Ervasti JM, Lowe DA. Isometric resistance training increases strength and alters histopathology of dystrophin-deficient mouse skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol. 2019;126(2):363-375. PMID: 30571283.
- Verma M, Murkonda BSR, Pengo T,Sanders MA, McLoon LK, Asakura Y, Asakura A. Muscle Satellite Cell Cross-Talk with a Vascular Niche maintains quiescence via VEGF and Notch Signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2018;23(4):530-543. PMID: 30290177 * Highlighted by Cell Stem Cell Previews.
- Meier LA, Auger JL, Engelson BJ, Cowan HM, Breed ER, Gonzalez-Torres M, Boyer J, Verma M, Marath A, Binstadt BA. CD301b/MGL2+ mononuclear phagocytes orchestrate autoimmune cardiac valve inflammation and fibrosis. Circulation. 2018;137(23):2478-2493. PMID: 29386201.
- Call JA, Warren GL, Verma M, Lowe DA. Acute failure of action potential conduction in mdx muscle reveals new mechanism of contraction-induced force loss. J Physiol. 2013; 591(Pt 15):3765-76. PMCID: PMC3752456.
- Shi H, Verma M, Zhang L, Dong C, Flavell RA, Bennett AM. Improved regenerative myogenesis and muscular dystrophy in mice lacking Mkp5. J Clin Invest. 2013;123(5):2064-77. PMID: 23543058.
- Nakamura Y, Asakura Y, Piras BA, Hirai H, Tastad CT, Verma M, Christ AJ, Zhang J, Yamazaki T, Yoshiyama M, Asakura A. Increased angiogenesis and improved left ventricular function after transplantation of myoblasts lacking the MyoD gene into infarcted myocardium. PloS One. 2012; 7(7):e41736. PMID: 22848585.
- Watanabe S, Hirai H, Asakura Y, Tastad C, Verma M, Keller C, Dutton JR, Asakura A. MyoD gene suppression by Oct4 is required for reprogramming in myoblasts to produce induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem cells. 2011;29(3):505-16. PMID: 21425413.
- Verma M, Asakura A. Efficient single muscle fiber isolation from alcohol-fixed adult muscle following ?-galactosidase staining for satellite cell detection. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011 Jan;59(1):60-7 PMID: 20876523.
- Verma M, Asakura Y, Hirai H, Watanabe S, Tastad C, Fong GH, Ema M, Call JA, Lowe DA, Asakura A. Flt-1 haploinsufficiency ameliorates muscular dystrophy phenotype by developmentally increased vasculature in mdx mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2010 Nov 1;19(21):4145-59. PubMed PMID: 20705734.
- Hirai H, Verma M, Watanabe S, Tastad C, Asakura Y, Asakura A. MyoD regulates apoptosis of myoblasts through microRNA-mediated down-regulation of Pax3. J Cell Biol. 2010;191(2):347-365. PMID: 20956382.
- Hirai H, Romanova L, Kellner S, Verma M, Rayner S, Asakura A, Kikyo N. Post-mitotic role of nucleostemin as a promoter of skeletal muscle cell differentiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010; 391(1):299-304. PMID: 19914205.
- Asakura A, Hirai H, Kablar B, Morita S, Ishibashi J, Piras BA, Christ AJ, Verma M, Vineretsky KA, Rudnicki MA. Increased survival of muscle stem cells lacking the MyoD gene after transplantation into regenerating skeletal muscle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104(42):16552-7. PMID: 17940048.
Reviews and Book Chapters
- VermaM, FitzpatrickK, McLoonL. ExtraocularMuscleRepairandRegeneration. Curr Ophthalmol Rep. 2017;5(3):207-215 PMID: 29109908. Invited Review.
- Verma M,Murkonda BSR, Asakura Y, Asakura A. Skeletal muscle tissue clearing for LacZ and fluorescent reporters, and immunofluorescence staining. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1460:129-40. PMID: 27492170
- Ennen JP, Verma M, Asakura A. Vascular-targeted therapies for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Skelet Muscle. 2013 Apr 23;3(1):9. PMC: 3651321.
Select Oral Presentations
- Verma M. Cross-talk between muscle satellite cells and endothelial cells is mediated through VEGF and NOTCH signaling. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Rochester, MN.ZigZag research forum. April 2018.
- Verma M. Targeting the vasculature in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Neurology Grand Rounds. University of Minnesota Medical School. February 2018.
- Verma M, Asakura A. Tissue clearing and unbiased image analysis shows the role of VEGFA in defining the vascular niche of tissue resident muscle stem cells (MuSCs). NAVBO: International vascular biology meeting. Boston, Massachusetts. November 2016. Selected oral presentation
- Verma M, Asakura A. Deciphering the juxtavascular niche of satellite cells through skeletal muscle tissue clearing. FASEB: Skeletal Muscle Satellite Cells and Regeneration. Keystone, Colorado. July 2016. Selected oral presentation
- Verma M. Muscle stem cell and blood vessels. Developmental Biology Center Annual Retreat. Hastings, MN. May 2016.
- Verma M. Cardiomyopathy in a patient with muscular dystrophy. MSTP grand rounds. June 2015.
- Verma M, Asakura A. Increasing vasculature through genetic down-regulation or pharmacological inhibition of Flt-1 ameliorates the muscular dystrophy phenotype in DMD model mice.Visscher Young Investigator's Competition. Department of Integrative Biology & Physiology. May 2014.*Award winner.
- Verma M. Vascular targeted therapy for muscular dystrophy. 3 Minute Thesis Competition. University of Minnesota Medical School. Minneapolis, MN. May 2014.
- Verma M. Investigation of tissue-resident endothelial Progenitor cells during skeletal muscle regeneration. Renegeron Inc. Tarrytown NY. April 2014.