Ph.D., Physiology, University of Minnesota, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology, 2019
B.A., Physiology and Psychology, University of Minnesota, 2013
Tanya is a post-doctoral fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Kevin Flanigan at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus Ohio. Dr. Flanigan is a world leader in the translation of basic science findings into clinical studies in patients with muscular dystrophy.
Dissertation Title: Preclinical Models of Dystrophic Cardiomyopathy and Therapies for the Dystrophic Heart Advisor: DeWayne Townsend, DVM, Ph.D. Date of Final Defense: July 30, 2019
Dissertation Title: Preclinical Models of Dystrophic Cardiomyopathy and Therapies for the Dystrophic Heart
Advisor: DeWayne Townsend, DVM, Ph.D.
Date of Final Defense: July 30, 2019
Awards & Recognition
1. Meyers TA, Heitzman JA, Townsend D. Acute myocardial injury in mdx hearts ameliorated by ARB but not ACE inhibitor treatment. In
Review.Neuromuscul Disord. 2019.
2. Meyers TA, Townsend D. Cardiac pathophysiology and the future of cardiac therapies in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. In Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2019.
3. Meyers TA, Heitzman JA, Krebsbach AM, Aufdembrink LM, Hughes R, Bartolomucci A, Townsend D. Acute AT1R blockade prevents isoproterenol-induced injury in mdx hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2019;128:51-61.
4. Park SW, Persaud SD, Ogokeh S, Meyers TA, Townsend D, Wei LN. CRABP1 protects the heart from isoproterenol-induced acute and chronic remodeling. J Endocrinol. 2018;236:151-165.
5. Meyers TA, Townsend D. Early right ventricular fibrosis and reduction in biventricular cardiac reserve in the dystrophin-deficient mdx heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015;308:H303-H315.
6. Strakova J, Dean JD, Sharpe KM, Meyers TA, Odom GL, Townsend D. Dystrobrevin increases dystrophin’s binding to the dystrophin-glycoprotein complex and provides protection during cardiac stress. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2014;76:106-115.
1. Meyers TA, Heitzman JA, Townsend D. DMD carrier mouse model with mosaic dystrophin expression in the heart reveals complex cardiac vulnerability to isoproterenol-induced injury.