Becky J. Olson-Kellogg, PT, DPT, GCS, CEEAA
Associate Professor, Division of Physical Therapy
Associate Professor, Division of Physical Therapy
Residency Director - Geriatric Clinical Residency (https://www.rehabmedicine.umn.edu/program-physical-therapy/geriatric-clinical-residency)
Graduate Faculty - University of Minnesota Program in Gerontology
Member, Minnesota Board on Aging (MBA)
DPT, Boston University (Doctorate in Physical Therapy), 2005
BS, University of Minnesota (Physical Therapy), 1992
BA, Augustana College (Clinical Psychology and Religion), 1983
Awards & Recognition
Research Funding Grants
Minnesota Area Geriatric Education Center, Funding Institution: Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA), Faculty Role, Salary Support 5%, 2007-2012.
Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center, Funding Institution: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Co-PI, Salary Support 15%, 2010-2012.
- Talley, K M C, Wyman, J F, Bronas, U, Olson-Kellogg, B., & McCarthy, T. Defeating urinary incontinence with exercise training: Results of a pilot study in frail older women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2017 March; 1-7.
- Talley K, Wyman J, Olson-Kellogg B, Bronas U, McCarthy T. Reliability and Validity of Two Measures of Toileting Skills in Frail Older Women without Dementia. J Gerontol Nurs. 2016 Jun 3:1-5.
Brewer K, Olson-Kellogg B. Students…Fast track your career with a clinical residency!.Geri Notes. May 2016;23(3):16.
- Talley, Kristine M C, Wyman, Jean F., Bronas, Ulf Gunnar, Olson-Kellogg B., McCarthy, Teresa C., Zhao, Hong. Factors associated with toileting disability in older adults without dementia living in residential care facilities. Nursing Research. March 2014; 63(2): 94-104.
- Brasure M, Shamliyan TA, Olson-Kellogg B, Butler ME, Kane RL. Physical Therapy for Knee Pain Secondary to Osteoarthritis: Future Research Needs. Future Research Needs Paper No. 37. (Prepared by the Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10064-I.) AHRQ Publication No. 13-EHC048-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. February 2013.
- Wang SY, Olson-Kellogg B, Shamliyan T, Choi JY, Ramakrishnan R, Kane R. Physical therapy interventions for knee pain secondary to osteoarthritis: a systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine, November 6, 2012, 157(9), 632-644, W-205--W-210.
- Shamliyan T, Wang SY, Olson-Kellogg B, Kane R. Physical Therapy for Knee Pain Secondary to Osteoarthritis. Comparative Effectiveness Review no12-EHC115-EF (Prepared by the University of Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center under contract 290-2007-10064 I.) Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2012.
- Pittenger AL, Olson-Kellogg B. Leveraging learning technologies for collaborative writing in an online pharmacotherapy course. Distance Education, 2012, 33:1, 61-80.
- Olson-Kellogg B, Jones T. Let the Therapists Help: Maximizing the Use of OT and PT to Achieve Positive Outcomes for Your Clients, Case Managers Society of America Annual Conference, Minnetonka, MN, October 14, 2016
- Olson-Kellogg B. Vestibular Pathologies: Differential Diagnoses. Invited speaker to present at Creekside Clinic Family Practice Resident and Physical didactic series. Methodist Hospital, St. Louis Park, MN, March, 15, 2016.
- Olson-Kellogg B. Experts in Arthritis: A public seminar for people with arthritis and people who care. Invited presentation by United States Bone and Joint Initiative. YMCA Heritage Park, Minneapolis, MN, April 29, 2013
- "Post-professional Opportunities: Clinical Residencies" (Panel Presenter) - APTA National Student Conclave, Crystal City, VA, October 2012.
- "Old Doesn't Have to Be Old! Physical Therapy for Older Adults" - APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Chicago, IL, February 2012; APTA National Student Conclave, Minneapolis, MN, October 2011.
- "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo" - Minnesota Chapter APTA Spring Conference, Minneapolis, MN, April 2012.
Peer-Reviewed Oral Presentations at Professional Meetings/Conferences:
- Olson-Kellogg B. Did you know that how fast you walk can help to predict how long you will live? University of Minnesota Alumni Association’s Annual Minne College, Scottsdale, Arizona, February 2017.
- Olson-Kellogg B. Did you know that how fast you walk can help to predict how long you will live? University of Minnesota New Mexico Alumni Association’s Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 2017.
- Olson-Kellogg B, Hartley G, Brewer K, Gravano T, Knight H, Osborne J, Robinson R. Geriatric Residency: A Call to Action for Students, Clinicians, and Educators. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, February 2017.
- Talley K, Wyman J, Bronas U, Olson-Kellogg B. Physical Performance Measurement in Frail Older Women with Urinary Incontinence. 40th Annual Research Conference for the Midwest Nursing Research Society, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 2016.
- Olson-Kellogg B. Did you know that how fast you walk can help to predict how long you will live? University of Minnesota Alumni Association’s Annual Minne College, Naples, Florida, Feb 2016.
Continuing Education Courses Presented:
- Review of Modalities in Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy Practice. University of Minnesota, Division of Physical Therapy, First-Year Clerkship Partners, Minneapolis, MN, May 4, 2017.
- Balancing Act: Using Evidence to Prevent Falls and Treat Balance Disorders in Aging Adults. Minnesota Physical Therapy Association, Minneapolis, MN, November 19, 2016. (Co-Instructor)
- Rehabilitation with Older Adults: Why Does Gait Speed Matter? International Spine & Pain Institute, St. Louis Park, MN, May 19, 2014.
- Growing Your Practice: A Primer on Ergonomics, Safe Patient Transfers, & Possible Patient Dizziness from Dental Chair Positioning. Minnesota West Technical College, Dental CE Course. Willmar, MN, February 14, 2014
- "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV): Understanding the Theory and Putting it into Practice" - May 2012.
- "Vestibular Pathologies: Differential Diagnoses" - April 2012, March 2012.
- Ergonomics and Safe Patient Handling: A Hands on Program for the Dental Team (in collaboration with the University of Minnesota Dental School), Minneapolis, MN, October 2016, October 2015, August 2013, February 2013, February 2012.
- “Exploring Opportunities in Balance: A Rehabilitation Perspective” – June 2007.
- “Cardiovascular Pharmacology” – March 2007, May 2003, April 2003, March 2003, February 2003, November 2002.
- “Vestibular Rehabilitation” – November 2013, May 2014, November 2015, December 2015, March 2016, April 2016, September 2016, December 2016, January 2017, April 2017, December 2012, November 2012, March 2012, November 2011, September 2011, May 2011, November 2010, October 2010, November 2009, October 2009, April 2009, January 2009, November 2008, October 2008, April 2008, October 2007, March 2007, February 2007, December 2006, November 2006, March 2006, February 2006.
- "Balance Assessments: Back to Basics and Beyond" - November 2010, February 2009, May 2008, April 2008.
- Platform Presentation, "Measuring Attitude Change of DPT Students Toward Older Adults Through a Collaborative Partnership Between a DPT Program and Long-Term Care Settings"; APTA Educational Leadership Conference, Greenwich, CT, November 2012.
- Poster Presentation, "The Relationship Between Substandard Professional Behaviors in the Academic Environment and Clinical Affiliation Performance"; Combined Sections Meeting, American Physical Therapy Association, February 2009.
Course Coordinator and Instructor for Acute Care and Therapeutic Procedures. Guest lecturer in Neurorehabilitation course for Balance and Falls in the Elderly, and Vestibular Rehabilitation. Residency Director and Instructor in Geriatric Clinical Residency.
Certified Exercise Expert in Aging Adults, March 2013
Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Geriatrics, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, American Physical Therapy Association, 2003; Recertified 2013.
Competency Certifications, Emory University, Atlanta, GA and American Physical Therapy Association:
- Cericogenic Dizziness, 2007
- Vestibular Function Test Interpretat