Paula M. Termuhlen, MD
Regional Campus Dean, Duluth Campus, Medical School
MD, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1985 - 1989
Resident, University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of General Surgery, 1989 - 1991, 1993 - 1995
NIH T-32 Research Fellowship, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1991 - 1993
Surgical Oncology Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1995 - 1998
BS, St. Louis University (summa cum laude), 1981 - 1985
Administrative Colloquium, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2000 - 2001
Hedwig van Amerigen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM), Drexel University College of Medicine, 2008 - 2009
Leadership Development Program, 2012 - 2013
Awards & Recognition
Research Funding Grants
Title: Planning Phase: Community Medical Education Program 2012 - 2015
Source: Advancing Healthier Wisconsin
Direct Funds: $4,000,000
Role: Co-Principal Investigator with Joseph Kerschner, MD
Refereed Journal Publications and Original Papers
- Mercier PJ, Skube SJ, Leonard SL, McElroy AN, Goettl TG, Najarian MM, Termuhlen PM, Chipman JG. Creating a Rural Surgery Track and a Review of Rural Surgery Training Programs. J Surg Educ. 2019 in press.
- Stella JJ, Lamb DL, Stain SC, Termuhlen PM. Understanding ACGME Scholarly Activity Requirements for General Surgery Programs in the Era of Single Accreditation and the Next Accreditation System. Am Surg. 2018 Feb 84(2):e40-e43(4).
- Termuhlen PM and Johns A. Why Journal of Regional Medical Campuses? Why now? J Reg Med Campuses. 2018. Doi: 10.24926/jrmc.v1i1.1004.
- Coverdill JE, Shelton JS, Alseidi A, Borgstrom DC, Dent DL, Dumire, R, Fryer J, Hartranft TH, Holsten SB, Nelson MT, Shabahang MM, Sherman SR, Termuhlen PM, Woods RJ, Mellinger JD. The promise and problems of non-physician practitioners in general surgery education: Results of a multi-center, mixed-methods study of faculty. Am J Surg. 2018 Feb;215(2):222-226 Doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.10.040 Epub 2017 Nov 5. PMID: 29137723.
- Coverdill JE, Alseidi A, Borgstrom DC, Dent DL, Dumire, R, Fryer J, Hartranft TH, Holsten SB, Nelson MT, Shabahang MM, Sherman SR, Termuhlen PM, Woods RJ, Mellinger JD. Assessing the 16 hour intern shift limit: Results of a multi-center, mixed-methods study of residents and faculty in general surgery. Am J Surg. 2018 Feb; 215(2):326-330. 2017 Nov 4. doi: 10:1016/j.amjsurg.2017.08.053. Epub 2017 Nov 4 PMID: 29132645
- Joshi AR, Vargo D, Mathis A, Love JN, Dhir T, Termuhlen PM. Surgical residency recruitment-Opportunities for improvement. J Surg Educ. 2016 Nov-Dec;73(6):e104-e110. PMID: 27886970
- Regalie WS, Termuhlen PM, Little AG. Changes in Thoracic Surgery Experience During General Surgery Residency: A review of case logs from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Dec; 102(6): 2095-2098. PMID: 27623275.
- Coverdill JE, Alseidi A, Borgstrom DC, Dent DL, Dumire RD, Fryer J, Hartranft TH, Holsten SB, Nelson MT, Shabahang M, Sherman S, Termuhlen PM, Woods RJ, Mellinger JD. Professionalism in the Twilight Zone: A multicenter, mixed-methods study of shift transition dynamics in surgical residencies. Acad Med. 2016 Nov; 9:S31-S36. PMID: 27779507.
- Termuhlen, PM, O-Yurvati AH, Stella JJ. Requirements for Certification in Surgery: A comparison of the American Board of Surgery and the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2016 Oct 1; 116:676-82. PMID: 27669072
- Minter RM, Amos KD, Bentz ML, Blair PG, Brandt C, D’Cunha J, Davis E, Delman KA, Deutsch ES, Divino C, Kingsley D, Klingensmith M, Meterissian S, Sachdeva AK, Terhune K, Termuhlen PM, Mullan PB. Transition to surgical residency: A multi-institutional study of perceived intern preparedness and the effect of a formal residency preparatory course in the fourth year of medical school. Acad Med. 2015 Mar 17 [epub ahead of print] PMID: 25785673.
- Yost MJ, Gardner J, Bell RM, Fann SA, Lisk JR; for the TriMetrix and Success Research Group, Cheadle WG, Goldman MH, Rawn S, Weigelt JA, Termuhlen PM, Woods RJ, Endean ED, Kimbrough J, Hulme M. Predicting academic performance in surgical training. J Surg Educ. 2015 72(3): 491-9. Jan 16 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25600356
- Grignol VP, Grannan K, Sabra J, Cromer R, Jarman B, Dent D, Sticca R, Nelson MT, Kukora JS, Daley BJ, Treat RW, Termuhlen, PM. Multi-institutional study of self-reported attitudes and behaviors of general surgery residents about ethical academic practices in test-taking. J Surg Educ. 70(6): 777-781, 2013.
- Amin AL, Purdy AC, Mattingly JD, Kong AL, Termuhlen, PM. Benign breast disease. Surg Clin North Am. 93(2): 299-308, 2013
- Gustafson JD, Fox JP, Quellette JR, Hellan M, Termuhlen P, McCarthy MC, Thambi-Pillai T. Open versus laparoscopic liver resection: Looking beyond the immediate postoperative period. Surg Endosc. 26(2): 468-472, 2012.
- Tuttle R, Miller KR, Maiorano JN, Termuhlen PM, Gao Y, Berberich SJ. Novel senescence associated gene, YPEL3, is repressed by estrogen in ER+ mammary tumor cells and required for tamoxifen-induced cellular senescence. Int J Cancer. 130(10): 2291-2299, 2012.
- Grignol VP, Termuhlen PM. Gastrointestinal stromal tumor surgery and adjuvant therapy. Surg Clin North Am. 91(5): 1079-87, 2011.
- Termuhlen PM, Damewood RB, Dent D, Fuhrman G, Haisch C, Nelson MT, Borman K, Friedell M; Association of Program Directors of Surgery Finance Committee. Development of an industry relations policy by the Association of Program Directors in Surgery: a report from the finance committee. J Surg Edu. 68(5):347-349, 2011.
- Schenarts PJ, Termuhlen PM, Pasley J, Rose JS, Friedell ML. A primer on how to select osteopathic applicants to an allopathic general surgery residency. J Surg Educ. 68 (3): 239-245, 2011.
- Van Eaton EG, Tarpley JL, Solorzano CC, Cho CS, Weber SM, Termuhlen, PM. Resident education in 2011: Three key challenges on the road ahead. Surgery. 149(4): 465-473, epub 2011, Feb 5.
- Tuttle R, Simon M, Hitch DC, Maiorano JN, Hellan M, Ouellette J, Termuhlen P, Berberich SJ. Senescence-associated gene YPEL3 is downregulated in colon tumors. Ann Surg Oncol. 18(6): 1791-1796, 2011
- Coverdill JE, Carbonell AM, Cogbill TH, Fryer J, Fuhrman GM, Harold KL, Hiatt JR, Moore RA, Nakayama DK, Nelson MT, Schlatter M, Sidwell RA, Tarpley JL, Termuhlen PM, Wohltmann C, Mellinger JD. Professional values, value conflicts, and assessments of the duty-hour restrictions after six years: a multi-institutional study of surgical faculty and residents. Am J Surg. 201(1): 16-23, 2011.
- Coverdill JE, Carbonell AM, Fryer J, Fuhrman GM, Harold KL, Jarman BT, Moore RA, Nakayama DK, Nelson MT, Schlatter M, Sidwell RA, Tarpley JL, Termuhlen PM, Wohltmann C, Mellinger JD. A new professionalism? Surgical residents, duty hours restrictions, and shift transitions. Acad Med. 85(10 Suppl):S72-75, 2010.
- Grignol VP, Gans A, Booth BA, Markert R, Termuhlen PM. Self-reported attitudes and behaviors of general surgery residents about ethical academic practices in test-taking. Surgery. 148(2). 178-80, Epub 2010, Jun 9.
- Izu B., Termuhlen PM. Surgical practice: Evidence or anecdote. J Surg Educ. 66(5): 281-284. 2009.
- Termuhlen PM, Izu B. What will we do for basic science conference this year? Organs in Depth. J Surg Educ. 65(2):137-139, 2008.
- Downey DM, Ekeh AP, McCarthy MC, Termuhlen PM. The practical application of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education's General Competencies through the formation of a "trauma support group." J Surg Educ. 65(2): 133-135, 2008.
- Izu B, Johnson RM, Termuhlen PM, Little AG. Effect of the 30-hour work limit on resident experience and education. J Surg Educ. 64 (6): 361-364, 2007.
- Termuhlen, PM, Mann, BD. The Resident, the student, and the competencies. Am J Surg. 193(1): 94-95, 2007.
- Coverdill JE, Adrales GL, Finley W, Mellinger JD, Anderson KD, Bonnell BW, Cofer JB, Dorner DB, Haisch C, Harold KL, Termuhlen PM, Webb AL. How surgical faculty and residents assess the first year of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education duty-hour restrictions: Results of a multi-institutional study. Am J Surg. 191(1):11-16, 2006.
- Coverdill JE, Finley W, Adrales GL, Mellinger JD, Anderson KD, Bonnell BW, Cofer JB, Dorner DB, Haisch C, Harold KL, Termuhlen PM, Webb AL. Duty-hour restrictions and the work of surgical faculty: Results of a multi-institutional study. Acad Med. 81: 50-56, 2006.
- Ouellette J, Patterson L, Termuhlen P. Interventional options for malignant upper gastrointestinal obstruction. J Palliat Med. 8(2):p. 448-449, 2005.
- Mann B, Termuhlen P. The Resident, the student and the competencies: a joint project of the ASE and APDS. Residency Assist Page of the American College of Surgeons, http://www.facs.org/education/rap/index.html, 2005.
- Ouellette J, Patterson L, Termuhlen P. Inteventional options for treating malignant upper GI obstruction. J Palliat Med. 8(2): 448-449, 2005.
- Stamp T, Termuhlen P, Miller S, Nolan D, Hutzel P, Gilchrist J, Johnson RM. Before and after resident work hour limitations: An objective assessment of surgical residents well being. Curr Surg. 62(1): 117-121, 2005.
- Ouellette JR, Small DG, Termuhlen PM. Evaluation of Charlson-Age Comorbidity Index as predictor of morbidity and mortality in patients with colorectal carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg 8(8): 1061-1067, 2004.
- Ouellette, JR, Woodyard L, Toth L, Termuhlen PM. Merkel cell carcinoma metastatic to the head of the pancreas. JOP. 5(2):92-96, 2004.
- Ouellette J, Patterson L, Termuhlen P. Fast Facts and Concepts #91: Interventional options for treating malignant upper GI obstruction. End-of-Life Physician Education Resource Center, www.eperc.mcw.edu, 2003.
- Termuhlen PM, Kemeny MM. Surgery in the older patient. Oncology. 16(2):183-189, 2002.
- Termuhlen PM, Sweeney-Gotsch BM, Berman RS, Ellis LM, Bucana C, Shen Y, Cleary KR, McConkey DJ. Increased apoptosis in metastatic human colonic adenocarcinomas. Cancer Bio Ther 1(1): 58-63, 2002.
- Windham TC, Termuhlen PM, Ajani JA, Mansfield PF. Adenocarcinoma of the stomach in patients age 35 years and younger: No impact of early diagnosis on survival outcome. J Surg Onco 81(3):p. 118-124, 2002: discussion 124-125
- Iwamura T, Shibata N, Termuhlen P, Nagano M, Yamada H, Hatakeyama K, Hayashi T, Toyoda K. Superficial neuroendocrine carcinoma of the esophagus. Digestive Endoscopy. 13: 216-219, 2001.
- Bold RJ, Termuhlen PM, McConkey DJ. Apoptosis, cancer and cancer therapy. Surg Oncol. 6(3):133-142. 1997.
- Bouvet M, Babiera GV, Termuhlen PM, Hester JP, Kantarjian HM, Pollock RE. Splenectomy in the accelerated or blastic phase of chronic myelogenous leukemia: A single-institution, 25-year experience. Surgery. 122(1): 20-25, 1997.
- Termuhlen PM, Curley SA, Talamonti MS, Saboorian MH, Gallick GE. Site-specific differences in pp60 c-src activity in human colorectal metastases. J Surg Res. 54(4): 293-298, 1993.
- Evans DB, Termuhlen PM, Byrd DR, Ames FC, Ochran TG, Rich TA. Intraoperative radiation therapy following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg. 218(1): 54-60, 1993.
Peer-Reviewed Educational Materials
1. The General Surgery Milestone Project: A Joint Initiative of the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education and the American Board of Surgery. July 2015. www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/SurgeryMilestones.pdf The Milestones are designed for use in the evaluation of resident physicians in the context of their participation in ACGME-accredited General Surgery residencies. They provide a framework for the assessment of the development of the resident physician in key dimensions of the elements of general surgery competency. Impact: Semi-annually utilized by 258 general surgery residencies to assess 7894 residents. Member of Milestone Working Group, developed content for competency areas, monograph preparation, alpha testing of Milestones and data acquisition.
2. The Complex General Surgical Oncology Milestone Project: A Joint Initiative of the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education and the American Board of Surgery. July 2015. www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/ComplexGeneralSurgicalOncologyMilestones.pdf The Milestones are designed for use in the evaluation of physicians in the context of their participation in ACGME-accredited Complex General Surgical Oncology fellowships. They provide a framework for the assessment of the development of the fellow physician in key dimensions of the elements of Complex General Surgical Oncology competency. Impact: Semi-annually utilized by 22 complex general surgical oncology fellowships to assess 101 fellows. Member of Milestone Working Group, developed content for competency areas, monograph preparation.
Books, Chapters, and Reviews
- Termuhlen, PM and Johns, A. University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth Campus. In The Regional Medical Campus, A Resource for Faculty, Staff and Learners. Michael Flanagan, Editor. Atlantic Publishing, pp. 321-328, 2018.
- Termuhlen, PM and Westra, R. Survivorship. In Quality Cancer Care: Survivorship Before, During and After Treatment, Peter Hopewood and Mary Milroy, Editors. Springer, pp. 103-117, 2018
- Termuhlen PM and Westra, R. Precision Medicine in Rural Minnesota: What does it look like? In Minnesota Physician. 21(8): 26-27, 40, 2017
- Ciocca R, Termuhlen PM, Brooks AD. Breast Cancer Screening in: Obstetrics and Gynecology: A Competency-Based Companion, Michael Belden, Editor. Elsevier, Chapter 46, 396-414, 2010.
- Mann BD, Osterman MN, Termuhlen PM. Teaching Visual: Anatomic Relationships of the Pancreatic Head in: Surgery A Competency-Based Companion, Barry Mann, Editor. Saunders/Elsevier, p. 216-221, 2008.
- Milas M, Tavani DM, Termuhlen PM. Thyroid Nodule in a 48-Year-Old Woman (Case 14): in Surgery A Competency-Based Companion, Barry Mann, Editor. Saunders/Elsevier, p. 176-183, 2008.
- Brooks AD, Termuhlen PM. Teaching Visual: Breast Pathology: in Surgery A Competency-Based Companion, BD Mann, Editor. Saunders/Elsevier, p. 154-158, 2008.
- Termuhlen PM. Abnormal Screening Mammogram in a 48-Year-Old Female (Case 10): in Surgery A Competency-Based Companion, Mann Barry, Editor. Saunders/Elsevier, p. 137-142, 2008.
- Termuhlen PM. Section III Cases In Surgical Oncology, Section Editor: in Surgery A Competency-Based Companion, Mann Barry, Editor. Saunders/Elsevier, p. 135-237, 2008.
- Tempero MA, Termuhlen PM, Randall E. Brand, Cornelius McGinn. Clinical Aspects and Management of Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: Management Options: Locally Advanced Unresectable Pancreatic Cancer. Ch. 33, p. 377. In: Gastrointestinal Oncology edited by James Abbruzzese ... [et al.]. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Jean ME, Termuhlen PM, Grau AM. Carcinoma of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands. In: The M.D. Anderson Surgical Oncology Handbook. 3rd Ed. Feig, BW, Berger, DH, Fuhrman, GM, eds. Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkens, p. 370-392, 2003.
- Termuhlen PM. Nutrition in Cancer Patients. In: The M.D. Anderson Surgical Oncology Handbook. 3rd Ed. Feig, BW, Berger, DH, Fuhrman, GM, eds. Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkens, p. 557-562, 2003.
- Termuhlen PM. Fellowship Training. In: Pocket Mentor: A Manual for Surgical Interns and Residents. Association of Women Surgeons, p. 85-89, 2001.
- Termuhlen, PM. Review of The Mysteries Within: A Surgeon Reflects on Medical Myths, by SB Nuland, for Oncology Times. Simon & Schuster, New York, 2000.
- Termuhlen PM. Nutrition in Cancer Patients. In: M.D. Anderson Handbook of Surgical Oncology, 2nd Ed. Feig BW, Berger DH, Fuhrman GM, eds. Lippincott Williams and Wilkens, p. 478-483, 1999.
- Termuhlen PM. Carcinoma of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands. In: M.D. Anderson Handbook for Surgical Oncology, 2nd Ed. Feig BW, Berger DH, Fuhrman GM, eds. Lippincott Williams and Wilkens, p. 313-328, 1999.
- Termuhlen PM, DB Evans, CG Willett. Intraoperative Irradiation-Techniques and Results. In: Intraoperative Radiation Therapy in Pancreatic Carcinoma". Gunderson LL, Willett CG, Harrison LB, Calvo FA, eds. Humana Press, Inc., p. 201-222, 1999.
- Termuhlen PM. Nutrition in Cancer Patients. In: M.D. Anderson Handbook of Surgical Oncology. DH Berger, BW Feig, and GM Fuhrman, eds. Little Brown and Company, p. 478-483, 1994.
- Coverdill JE, Carbonell AM, Cogbill TH, Fryer J, Fuhrman GM, Harold K, Hiatt JR, Moore RA, Nakayama DK, Nelson MT, Schlatter M, Sidwell RA, Tarpley J, Termuhlen PM, Wohltmann C, Mellinger JD. Educating across a values and perceptual divide. Duty-hour restrictions after six years: A multi-institutional study of surgical faculty and residents. In Abstracts from the Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Association for Surgical Education (ASE) Steineman S. Teach Learn Med Oct 22(4): 337-342, 2010.
- Grignol VP, Gans AJ, Booth BA, Markert RJ, Termuhlen PM. Self-reported attitudes and behaviors of general surgery residents about ethical practices in academic test-taking. J Surg Res 158 (2): 248, 2010.
- Lopez A, Changchien Eric, Kuchipudi K, Chakrabarti A, Termuhlen PM. Surveillance anxiety in melanoma patients in the first year after diagnosis. Ann Surg Onc 16(S1): 112, 277, 2009.
- Ouellette JR, Small D, Termuhlen P. Evaluation of Charlson-Age Comorbidity Index as predictor or morbidity and mortality in patients with colorectal carcinoma. Gastroenterology 124 (4): A816-A816 Suppl, 2003.
- Copur MS, Ledakis P, Bolton M, Lynch J, Termuhlen P, Brand R, Norvell M, Muhvic J, Swantek S, Frost V, Vanpelt E, Mleczko KL, Frankforter S. Weekly Cisplatinum(p) and Gemcitabine(g) in patients with locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer. ASCO Proc, 619, 2001.
- Wolff RA, Marady AR, Pisters PWT, Lee JE, Lenzi R, Vauthey JN, Janjan NA, Crane CH, Staley C, Termuhlen P, Cleary K, Charnsangavej C, Abbruzzese JL, Evans DB. Pre-operative gemcitabine and radiation for resectable adenocarcinoma of the pancreas - preliminary report of a Phase II multi-institutional trial. Clinical Cancer Research 5:225 Suppl, 1999.
- Termuhlen PM, McConkey DJ. Increased sensitivity to apoptosis in human colon cancer cell lines associated with increased metastatic potential. Proceedings of the 88th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, 137, 1997.
- Termuhlen PM, Talamonti MS, Gallick GE. Increased tyrosine kinase activity of pp60c-src is an intrinsic property of colorectal metastases. Proceedings of the 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, 132, 1992.
- Hutcheson PS, Jarmoc LM, Lodesch LM, Termuhlen PM, Slavin RG. A longitudinal study of aspergillus sensitivity in cystic fibrosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol, (79): 262, 1987.
Diplomate, Issued by American Board of Surgery, Exp. 2007, Issued 1997
Recertification Exp. 2017, Issued 2005
Recertification Exp. 2027, Issued 2015
Minnesota: Active; Issued 2015
Wisconsin: Active; Exp. 10/13/15, Issued 2011
Ohio: Inactive; Issued 2001
Nebraska: Inactive; Issued 1998
Texas: Inactive; Issued 1990