The University of Minnesota Medical School is closely monitoring the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Our clinicians are prepared, our hospital is the only federally-designated containment center in the upper Midwest and our investigators are working on possible prevention and treatments, as well as developing a greater understanding of this virus. Above all, the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff, faculty and students is our top priority as we respond to this rapidly evolving situation.
Faculty at the Medical School are actively engaged in research on COVID-19 that will result in new knowledge, treatments and drug trials. View information on our clinical trials, CO:VID Grants and the Guiding Principles for Research.
LATEST U OF M-RELATED UPDATES
- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz issued a “stay at home” order for the State of Minnesota beginning at 11:59 pm Friday, March 27 until 11:59 pm Sunday, May 3. This executive action directs all Minnesotans, including the University community, to stay home and limit trips elsewhere to critical needs only. Only those designated in “essential on-campus roles” will continue to work on campus until further notice.
- University events with an attendance of 50 people or more have been canceled for the Spring 2020 semester.
- All non-essential international and domestic travel by faculty, staff, and students for University purposes is prohibited.
- The University has canceled all study and education abroad programs.
- Most University buildings systemwide now require a U Card or other secure means of access, consistent with the protocol for each of our campuses.
For the most up-to-date University of Minnesota information related to COVID-19, please visit safe-campus.umn.edu.
CANCELLATIONS & POSTPONEMENTS
As of March 16, the University canceled all events with an attendance of 50 people or more for the Spring 2020 semester, including the following Medical School events. If you do not see your event listed below, please contact event leaders directly.
- Maurice Visscher Symposium - Scheduled for June 3, rescheduled for May/June 2021
- Promotion & Tenure Reception - Scheduled for June 5, postponed to Fall 2020
- Food Matters - Scheduled for June 11-12, canceled
- Cardio Palooza - Scheduled for July 17, canceled
COVID-19 MEDICAL EDUCATION INNOVATION GRANTS
Faculty or P&A educators at the University of Minnesota Medical School can apply for COVID-19 Medical Education Innovation Grants to develop education (basic science or clinical) and simulation projects related to COVID-19, more general pandemic-related knowledge and skills or professional development activities that would be possible during this stay-at-home order. These could be curricular (credit-eligible — i.e., elective) activities to engage and inform learners about the current pandemic.
If you are a patient who sees a provider at a University of Minnesota (M Physicians) clinic or M Health Fairview clinic and believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, please use OnCare or e-visit to determine whether you should be tested for coronavirus. If you have additional questions related to COVID-19, please call 1-855-324-7843.