The BGREAT office and the Office of Professional Development serve as resources for current and prospective graduate students in the biomedical sciences. We encourage students at all stages of their training to contact us to ask questions about the University of Minnesota, our graduate programs and our student services.
BGREAT supports graduate student academic and personal success with resources to foster their retention and graduation.
Click to read the winter 2019 Welcome Message from Associate Dean, Colin Campbell.
Colin's Office Hours (733 Mayo Bldg) - come talk with the Dean about anything.
Current Graduate Students
BGREAT services for graduate students:
- The Office of Professional Development provides biomedical graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with resources and opportunities in career education and professional development
- Administer the funds for the recipients of the Dean's Distinguished Graduate Fellowship, the Medical School Graduate Fellowship
- Coordinate annual 3 Minute Thesis competition
- Maintain the web list of graduate student resources
- Serve as advisor for the Association of Multicultural Scientists student group
- Serve as advisor for the local chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Serve on the ADGE's Graduate Student Advisory Board
- Support the student committee that organizes the annual Graduate Student Research Recognition Day
- You are invited to meet with Dean Campbell during his Office Hours:
- Room 733 Mayo
- On all Fridays EXCEPT the following: Feb 8, May 31 and shorter hours (3:45 - 5) on March 1
Prospective Graduate Students
The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Outreach provides services for undergraduate and postbaccalaureate scholars interested in pursuing graduate training:
- Answer questions about our graduate programs and university via email and virtual graduate program fairs
- Speed up student's information search on our programs. We will help you determine if we have a program that fits you - just email us
- Offers PhD program application fee grants
- Conduct outreach events at conferences and campus visits
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- California Forum for Diversity
- National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
- National Diversity in STEM Conference (SACNAS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Graduate and Professional School Fair
- Campus Visits
- Florida International University - Friday, February 1, 2020
- Hampton University - Monday, October 21, 2019
- Howard University - Thursday, October 24, 2019
- Tennessee State University - Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- University of Central Florida - Thursday, Thursday, January 31, 2020
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County - Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- University of New Mexico - Thursday, October 3, 2019
- University of Puerto Rico: Cayey-Tues, Sept 10; Rio Piedras, Wed Sept 11; Mayaguez, Thurs Sept 12; Ponce, Fri Sept 13, 2019
- If you're going to be in the Twin Cities area, please contact us to schedule a meeting and tour of your programs of interest.
- Directs the Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program (LSSURP)
- Serves as a mentor in the National Research Mentoring Network