Benefits information presented here is for fellows in the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship and the Sports Medicine Fellowship.
2019-20 Fellow Stipend
Insurance & Health Benefits
For more information, please see University of Minnesota Office of Student Health Benefits.
- Health insurance
Resident and family coverage available through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. Automatic emergency travel assistance. Available on first day of orientation.
- Flexible spending account
Eligible for pre-tax health care and dependent care reimbursement.
- Dental insurance
Available for residents and family members.
- Life insurance
Group term provided at no cost. Additional coverage available.
- Disability (short- and long-term)
Up to $5,000 covered per month during residency at no charge. Loan payoff if disabled during residency. May enroll in guaranteed coverage until age 67 for up to $10,000 per month, regardless of pre-existing condition.
- Malpractice insurance
Coverage provided for activities within the course and scope of resident duties at no cost.
Paid Time Off (PTO) & Leave
Paid time off (PTO)
- Twenty-one days per contract year. These days are designed to cover vacations, unexpected absences such as sick days and funeral/bereavement leave, and practice search.
Maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Two weeks paid maternity leave, paid at 100%; up to four additional weeks paid through short-term disability at 70%
- Two weeks paid paternity or adoption leave upon request
- May be granted at program director's discretion for no more than three days at a time
Fellows are eligible for
- University of Minnesota Optional Retirement Plan (ORP)
- University of Minnesota Section 457 Deferred Compensation Program (457 Plan)
Academic business expense reimbursement fund
- Up to $1,000 reimbursement per year for software, conference expenses, medical association memberships, and clinical textbooks and journals
Minnesota license and DEA registration
- Permit and licensure application fee reimbursed
- DEA fee reimbursed
- Up to $1,000 reimbursement for relocation expenses
Discounts & Perks
A U Card is required to access some of these benefits.
- University Recreation and Wellness Center at student membership rates
- Gain access to the University of Minnesota library system, including the Bio-Medical Library
- Relocation Assistance Program helps find childcare, short-term housing, and employment options for spouses/partners
Resident and Fellow Assistance Program
- Resident and Fellow Assistance Program is an employee assistance program designed specifically for residents and fellows
- Receive discounted tickets for some University of Minnesota sports, theater, and cultural events
Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship
- Lab coats and pagers provided
- Parking is free
Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Lab coats, pagers, and team apparel provided
- Parking is free or discounted while on duty