Advanced Radiation Oncology
Catalog Description: This course is designed not only for students who plan to go into radiation therapy, but also for those who plan to go into a field such as family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, or surgery, where oncologic patients may be part of their practice. Here the student will gain more familiarity with the role of radiation therapy in the treatment of cancer patients. The student will be able to work-up new patients and present to the staff, assist in the treatment planning and follow patients through therapy. The student will see follow-up patients and new patient in the clinic. Student will observe or assist in brachytherapy source implantation for gynecology cancer. They should attend all conferences, seminars, and lectures given by the department as well as multidiscplinary conferences. Each student will have a chance to work with and discuss an assigned staff per disease cataegory. There will be no night call.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 7:30am-4:30pm, 3 weeks UMMC, 1 week VA
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: The course acquaints students with current concepts of management, the results of therapy for common malignancies, and the role of radiation therapy in the management of cancer patients.
At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- diagnose, evaluate, stage, and formulate treatment plans for common malignancies in children and adults.
- explain general principles of radiation therapy and relate them to its toxicities.
- describe the cooperative role of various disciplines, such as surgery, chemotherapy, and immunotherapy in the management of the cancer patient.
- incorporate appropriate psychological principles in their work with cancer patients and their families.
- Oral presentation on a topic of interest
- Clinical assessment by attending
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub