Acting Internship Geriatric Psychiatry
*Course on hold for the 21-22 Academic year or until further notice*
Catalog Description: Become a member of the multidisciplinary geropsychiatry team at the VAMC. See patients > 60 years and their families, evaluating brain-behavior complications of medical and neurological illness and treatments. Participate in initial evaluations, follow up visits and team meetings. Learn gold standard assessment of the dementias at the VAMC GRECC clinic and the Memory Clinic at Fairview. See components of a driving evaluation. Visit a nursing home. Attend consensus conferences at GRECC and/or geropsychiatry team. Contribute to the ongoing geropsychiatry journal club.
Students will go to the following sites: VA:
- VAMC-Outpatient Mental Health Clinic, 1 Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417
- Minneapolis Veterans Home, 5101 Minnehaha Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55417
- Memory Care Management Clinic at UMMC-Fairview, 2450 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis 55454
- VA Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center Medicine Outpatient Clinic, 1 Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am-5:30pm
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, students will be able to:
- Assess an older patient including cognitive, functional, family and safety evaluations.
- Identify ways to improve function in older patients with medical comorbidities, polypharmacy and cognitive impairment.
- Perform as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Describe benefits of working with older patients.
- Completed University of Minnesota CME evaluation forms compiled by Journal Club attendees
- Short quiz based on Geriatric Psychiatry Self-Assessment Program
- Clinical assessment by faculty
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub