Helping Indigenous Communities Stay Connected in Light of COVID-19
Author: | April 28, 2021
“Helping Indigenous Communities Stay Connected in Light of COVID-19 Factsheets" were produced by the Memory Keepers Medical Discovery Team in collaboration with community partners to provide evidence-based and culturally safe and appropriate COVID-19 resources.
An environmental scan of health promotion and informational materials was conducted early in the project to give a broader understanding of what health promotional materials were being developed for and with Indigenous communities internationally.
Community-specific needs were identified through key consultations with Indigenous advisors and local experts, Tribal leadership, Indigenous community researchers and Indigenous community advisory groups. As a result of the environmental scan and the key consultations, we developed three factsheets that focus on healthy activities Indigenous people can safely do during a pandemic. These factsheets have been vetted with our Indigenous community advisory members in Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Grand Portage and Red Lake, Minnesota.
- COVID-19 Tips for Staying Healthy: Recommendations from Indigenous communities and partners in the Great Lakes area.
- Health Activities in Light of COVID-19: Recommendations from Indigenous communities and partners in the Great Lakes area.
- Staying Connected: Helping Indigenous Communities Stay Connected in Light of COVID-19.
- Karen Pitawankwat and Rhonda Trudeau, Wikwemikong First Nation
- Collette Pederson, Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- January Johnson, Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians
- Marlene Summers and Lois Strong, Oneida Nation
- Members of Giiwedinong committee
- George Googleye, from The Minnesota Chippewa Tribe (MCT)
- Tess Bailey, SNAP-Ed Community Nutrition Educator from Grand Portage
- Alicia Smith, American Indian Advisor for the Economic Opportunity and Nutrition Assistance Programs, Minnesota Department of Human Services
- Community advisory members:
- Grand Portage Community Advisory Group
- Red Lake Community Advisory Council
- Manitoulin Island Community Advisory Council