PM&R Resident Dr. Sima Patel at ABC News
Social media and technology use is on the rise meaning that more information now than ever are available at our fingertips. Patients can count on their medical professionals to communicate accurate and reliable information but where does one find accurate health information that is easy to understand in mainstream media?
Third-year PM&R resident Dr. Sima Patel landed a medical journalism internship with ABC News in May 2018. ABC news developed a unit to evaluate medical information for all their news programs. This unit consists of residents on a one-month internship in New York City that works with producers and correspondents to prepare and advise on medical stories meanwhile increasing awareness about a variety of health topics and policy.
Read Dr. Patel's ABC news reports below:
- Cars alone in the sun can feel like an oven in little more than an hour for a child left inside
- What is Ambien and what are its known side effects?
- How getting struck by a TASER affects the human body
- What is the deadly Nipah virus?
- Head trauma may be possible to diagnose with substances in the blood, study says
- What to know about post-traumatic stress disorder