It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle after a cancer diagnosis. Avoiding unhealthy habits is essential for improving the quality of life of everyone, including cancer survivors. Studies have also shown that improving healthy behaviors can reduce and help manage the symptoms and long-term effects that often result from cancer treatment. Unhealthy behaviors can complicate your treatment and reduce your quality of life.
A few key healthy behaviors include:
- Engaging in regular exercise/activity
- Protecting your skin from ultraviolet (UV) exposure
- Reducing alcohol consumption
- Reducing or quitting tobacco use
- Eating a healthy diet
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
It can be difficult to make these changing in your life. Consider seeking out resources that can make it easier for you, such as finding a workout partner or a nutritionist. You can also ask your doctor for help finding resources.