Established in Fall 2016, the Department of Pediatrics Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council (EDIC) developed a departmental plan to address both challenges and barriers in achieving our goal of a welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all department members.
Led by Dr. Catherine Bendel, Associate Chair for Equity and Diversity, and consisting of faculty members from across the Department of Pediatrics, EDIC is an action-oriented committee advisory to the Pediatrics Department Head. EDIC actions have included:
- Developed the department Diversity statement
- Planned semi-annual Grand Rounds, required for all faculty
- Implemented Implicit Bias training, required for all faculty leadership, education program directors, and those involved in search committees and trainee recruitment
- Created faculty awards to recognize outstanding EDI contributions
- Partnered with Pediatrics Research Council for research funding to support underrepresented student researchers
- Served on Medical School and University committees to further EDI interests
All department faculty are welcome to join EDIC. Please contact Dr. Bendel if you are interested.
Awards & Recognition
The Department of Pediatrics has a long tradition of honoring faculty and learners who exemplify excellence in teaching, research, and service.
Excellence in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Faculty Recognition Award
Awarded annually to the individual who demonstrates exemplary leadership and efforts to support and create a diverse and inclusive workplace, along with an educational environment where our learners can understand the needs of diverse individuals, patients, families and populations, including work in health care disparities or with underserved populations. Recipients may demonstrate this commitment across a wide range of activities including: efforts to support recruitment and retention of diverse faculty and/or trainees; teaching and/or research that expand our understanding of equity and inclusiveness; creation/promotion of multicultural programing; community outreach initiatives; or other activities in the area of equity, diversity and inclusion. This award is one of many Faculty Recognition Awards presented at the annual Julie Ross Faculty Recognition Event. See Award Recipients
Want to nominate a colleague?
Nominations will be solicited annually in the fall, and may also be submitted to Cathy Bendel, Associate Chair for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Summer Pediatric Research Education (SUPER) Award
The Department of Pediatrics Research Council and the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council are proud to announce a new award to provide support for students from an underrepresented or disadvantaged group to have a summer Pediatrics research experience.
- Each SUPER award is for $2,000 to pay for the student's stipend and/or research expenses.
- The Department will fund up to 5 awards each Summer.
- Applications will be due annually in February.