H-1B Visas

The J-1 alien physician visa is the preferred visa of University of Minnesota Medical School residencies and fellowships.  As an institution, the University of Minnesota also allows for residents and fellows to be sponsored on H-1B visas.  However, each program determines whether H-1B visas are appropriate for their program.

When interviewing, applicants should use our Visa Sponsorship - Applicant Information form as part of their conversation with the program regarding visa sponsorship needs.  Not all programs offer H-1B visas, so it is important to discuss your visa needs openly and early so you and the program can plan appropriately.

Review our Visa Sponsorship Policy for further information about H-1B requirements.