Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) program is an internal K12 grant mechanism from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Research on Women’s Health that fosters mentored research career development of junior faculty of either gender who are engaged in interdisciplinary women’s health or sex differences research. Research must be relevant to women’s health or sex/gender differences. Programs that address basic, translational, clinical, epidemiological, and health services research are encouraged to apply.
The aim of this training program is to place junior investigators on the path to be competitive for NIH independent K- or R- awards. Success of the program is judged by the number of trainees who go on to secure independent NIH K-awards and NIH R21 grants in the short term, and NIH R01, and R01 equivalent funding in the long term, for women’s health or sex differences research.
- 75% (50% Surgeon) salary support (up to $100,000 inclusive of fringe), $30,000 in research and career development support per year
- Appointment is for three years contingent on satisfactory performance
- Assistant Professor (in rank ≤ 6 years; Have no more than six years of research or research training experience beyond their last doctoral degree)
- Professional development and leadership opportunities including but not limited to National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, OpEd Project training, etc.
- Networking and collaboration opportunities across local and national networks including but not limited to Midwest BIRCWH scholar consortium, meeting with national leaders, hosting a visiting scholar, an inside look into National Institute of Health, etc.
We are now accepting Letters of Intent (LOI).
Announcement Date: April 11, 2023
LOI Deadline: July 11, 2023
Invitation to Apply July 14, 2023
Application Deadline: September 20, 2023
Award Notification: December 1, 2023
Award Start: January 1, 2024
New Scholar Orientation: February 8, 2024 at 2-3pm
Information Session: May 15, 2023 at 4-5pm CDT for the Virtual Info Session. Register to attend.