Course Director: Jennifer Pearson, MD
- Large group exercises and small group discussions about the balance between life and death and what roles medical professionals play.
- Meets off-campus, most likely at a manor in East Duluth.
- No quizzes and no presentations.
Medical Education Through Diversity and Service (MEDS)
Course Director: Kevin Diebel, PhD
- Lectures and small group activities where students explore key topics in global and population health.
- Opportunity to identify and participate in international health experiences in the summer following participation in the course.
Seminars in American Indian Health
Course Director: Mary Owen, MD
- Two-year elective course, one credit per year.
- Learn the differences and similarities of medicine in diverse communities, cultures, and the general population.
- Recognize the importance of and encourage cultural awareness in health care.
Summer Internship in Medicine Program
Course Director: Ray Christensen, MD
- Offered to first-year medical students (held in the summer between the first and second year.
- Work directly with hospital/clinic personnel in rural communities.
- Gain exposure to rural medicine and experience life as a rural health professional.
- Limited research projects provide another summer experience through this program under the direction of James Boulger, PhD.