Microbiology is relevant to other majors in the biological sciences. The College of Biological Sciences (CBS) offers a 14-credit Microbiology minor for students in other majors who want to expand their knowledge of microbiology. The minor is available to both CBS and non-CBS students, with the exception of students completing a biology major or minor.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MINOR
- To declare the Microbiology minor, students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater.
- Prerequisite coursework:
CBS students: MICB 3301, BIOL 3020, AND BIOC 3022 or 4331
Non-CBS students: MICB 3301, BIOC 3021, and GCD 3022
- Transfer credits are only accepted for the general microbiology component of the minor.
- Students who have completed VBS 2032 or a non-majors general microbiology course at another university should contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Microbiology, Dr. Leslie Schiff, at email@example.com.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE THE MINOR
- BIOL 4003 or GCD 3022
- 6 or more credits of upper division microbiology lecture courses
- 3 or more credits of upper division microbiology lab courses
- The above courses must be completed at the University of Minnesota
DECLARE THE MICROBIOLOGY MINOR
By filling out the online Add/Drop a CBS Minor form.
FOR DETAILED PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Please see the undergraduate catalog.