Undergraduate Research

The ability to do undergraduate research is one of the greatest benefits of a degree from the College of Biological Sciences (CBS). As a student, you can get involved in research by volunteering, pursuing student employment, participating in the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), or taking upper-division independent research courses under the direction of a faculty member. Microbiology-related research is going on in many corners of the University. 

Begin your exploration of undergraduate research opportunities by taking a look at the CBS resource site. If you are considering upper-division research for credit, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Schiff at schif002@umn.edu, to discuss your interests as well as approaches to maximize success. Microbiology students typically pursue upper-division directed research after they have taken coursework in general microbiology and biochemistry/molecular biology.