The Department of Microbiology and Immunology celebrated its centennial on Friday, July 19, 2019. The celebration included a symposium at the McNamara Alumni Center, a student poster session, opportunities to tour the Microbiology Research Facility, and an evening dinner and program.
The highlight of the symposium was the designation of the U of M as a Milestones in Microbiology site by the American Society for Microbiology.
Symposium speakers were:
- Christopher Contag, PhD, Professor and Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering, and Director, Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Pamela Contag, PhD, Chief Executive Officer, BioEclipse Therapeutics, San Jose, CA
- Lynn W. Enquist, PhD, Henry L. Hillman Professor in Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- John T. Harty, PhD, Professor and Mark Stinski Chair in Microbial Immunology, Departments of Microbiology & Immunology and Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine
- Alan Hauser, MD, PhD, Vice Chair and Professor, Department of Microbiology-Immunology and Professor of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- David Mills, PhD, Peter J. Shields Chair in Dairy Food Science and Professor, Departments of Viticulture & Enology and Food Science & Technology, University of California, Davis, CA
- Kevin Urdahl, MD, PhD, Professor, Center for Global Infectious Disease Research, Seattle Children’s Hospital, and affiliate professor at the University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Christopher Waters, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI