Occupational Health, Safety, & Immunization Requirements

This page contains information for medical residents, medical fellows, and dental residents only.  All sections apply to medical residents and fellows; only the respirator requirements apply to dental residents as indicated within each section. If you are not a medical resident, medical fellow or dental resident, please refer any questions to University Health and Safety-Occupational Health (UHS-OH).

Your health and safety, as well as the health and safety of your patients, is important to us.  The University of Minnesota Academic Health Center, Biosafety and Occupational Health Department (UHS-BOHD), and Boynton Health have set policies and processes related to the following requirements for medical residents and fellows.


Expand all

Seasonal Influenza Vaccine

ALL UMN medical residents and medical fellows MUST report flu vaccination status each year in the fall, even if they will not receive the vaccine due to allergy, illness, or other.  Dental residents report flu vaccines through the dental school. Dental residents can send questions to Josette Fontana at jfontana@umn.edu.  

The AHC Dean's Council mandates that all residents/fellows are required to have an influenza vaccination (or a valid medical contraindication to immunization).  In addition to receiving a flu vaccine, you must also report that you have done so and provide documentation.

Flu Season

ALL UMN medical residents and medical fellows MUST report flu vaccination status annually in the fall to the University of Minnesota GME office, even if a vaccine is not obtained due to allergy, illness, or other. Residents and fellows can report an influenza vaccine OR reason why an influenza vaccine was declined between September 1 and October 31 by completing this brief flu shot form AND upload corresponding documentation of completion.

Where to Receive a Flu Shot:

More information is available in the Influenza Vaccination & Reporting Guide.

Important Notes:

  • Residents/fellows will be pulled from service if a flu shot is not reported and documented within the UMN GME flu form by October 31.

  • Fairview (and many other sites) do not provide flu documentation. A photo of the ipad/computer monitor/other tracking device that displays the name, date a shot was received, and proof of receiving a shot will suffice as documentation.

  • Residents/fellows will not be marked as compliant with the University of MN flu reporting requirement unless you upload proof of a flu shot to the UMN GME Flu Form, despite what the nurse administering the shot might say.

  • Receipt of a flu shot at Fairview will not automatically mark the trainee as compliant with the UMN requirement; the UMN form must be completed and documentation uploaded to be compliant.

We appreciate your support of this very important initiative. Please reach out to the GME office at gme@umn.edu with any questions.


Immunizations & Tuberculosis (TB) Testing


All medical residents and medical fellows must remain compliant with the UMN Academic Health Center immunization requirements throughout the duration of their training.  Log in to your immunization portal to view your immunization compliance.

Reporting your Immunization/TB Test: Upon start of a new GME residency/fellowship program at UMN, trainees are required to fill out this immunization form (external immunization records are not accepted), and upload to your RMS checklist.  An updated immunization form must be provided each time you receive an immunization throughout your GME training, so your record can be updated.  There is a 10 business day turnaround time to input immunization information into the system, so please do not re-send duplicate immunization forms. New to UMN medical residents and medical fellows are provided detailed instructions on how to complete the immunization requirement via their UMN-GME central onboarding checklist in RMS.

Boynton Health contact information:

Tuberculosis Testing

Tuberculosis Screening: Baseline TB testing is required for all AHS learners. Annual testing is not required. Either a TB blood test (QuantiFERON TB-Gold or T-SPOT) OR a Two-Step TB skin test are acceptable.

If you have questions on what type of TB test you are required to receive, e-mail immunizations@umn.edu, and include your UMN 7 digit ID number.

Immunization & Tuberculosis Testing Information

Immunization and TB Tests

(see immunization form for more details)

Cost/Coverage Additional Information

Hepatitis B Titers

No cost  
MMR Titers No cost  
Tuberculosis TST No cost

Can either make an individual TB skin test appointment, OR attend a walk-in clinic via Boynton Health

Tuberculosis IGRA No cost  
Treatment for Latent TB No cost  
Tuberculosis Chest X-Ray No cost  
Varicella Titer No cost  
Diphtheria Tetanus (Pertussis) Your own health insurance If you do not hold the UMN health insurance offered to Medical Residents and Medical Fellows, you may incur costs or have to fully pay for services. Please consider out-of-network costs (if applicable)as you receive services.

Hepatitis B Vaccinations

(3 Doses)

Your own health insurance
MMR Vaccinations Your own health insurance

Varicella Vaccination

Your own health insurance


Where to receive immunizations

Boynton Health (BH)

You are strongly encouraged to receive services at BH (MUST identify yourself as a UMN Medical Resident or Medical Fellow):

Boynton Health East Bank Clinic
410 Church Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455

612-625-3222 Appointments

Reporting: You do NOT need to submit an Immunization form if you receive services at BH.

HealthPartners Occupational & Environmental Medicine Clinics (HPOEM)

You may also receive services at HPOEM (MUST identify yourself as a UMN Medical Resident or Medical Fellow):

St. Paul Clinic
205 S. Wabasha Street
St. Paul, MN

952-883-6999 Appointments

Reporting: You do NOT need to submit an Immunization form if you receive services at HPOEM.

IF you receive immunizations anywhere besides BH or HPOEM:

Reporting: You are required to submit an Immunization Form to update your UMN Immunization Portal IF you receive services somewhere other than BH or HPOEM. If you do not submit an Immunization form, your record will not be updated, and you will be considered non-compliant.

Respirator Fit Testing and Medical Clearance

This section applies to medical residents and fellows, and dental residents.


Achieving respirator fit testing compliance is comprised of three required components:

Requirement More information
1. Viewing an online Respirator Protection Education module Issued to new to University of Minnesota (UMN) residents/fellows via their onboarding checklist in RMS.  If you are a new medical resident or medical fellow and have specific questions regarding your fit test, please contact gme@umn.edu
2. Completing an online medical evaluation / clearance
  • New to UMN residents/fellows receive this requirement via their GME-issued RMS onboarding checklist.
  • Continuing Residents/Fellows will receive an email from GME regarding this requirement.
3. Receiving an in-person mask fitting through GME or your program, OR by making an individual appointment Receiving a mask fitting is required for ALL residents/fellows at the onset of starting their initial GME residency or fellowship training program at UMN and then annually until graduation.  See Respirator Mask Fittings section below for more information on where to receive a mask fitting and how to update your compliance.


Respirator Fit Testing

Respirator fit testing is required for new/incoming GME residents and fellows during onboarding and then annually for all continuing residents/fellows.  The UMN Office of Occupational Health and Safety states that "Employees will be fit tested at their time of initial assignment" (section 4.2).


Not able to attend an open fit test session offered during orientations?  Make your own appointment:

For information about scheduling in-person fit testing at another time, please visit the GUIDE: Scheduling an In-Person Mask Fitting with HPOEM


If you receive a Fit Test outside of the UMN or HPOEM:

If you have completed a Fit Test at another site, you must submit either:



If you wear a beard, have religious beliefs or a personal or medical situation that does not allow fit testing, you are still required to complete the Fit Test Clearance Form, stating at step #5 on the form, that you were not tested.

  1. Circle “NO TEST” and state why you were not tested (e.g. have a beard), and what your action will be (e.g. will wear PAPR).

  2. Submit your completed form to uohs@umn.edu.

  3. Once you’ve submitted your completed form to uohs@umn.edu, there is nothing else for you to complete.

Helpful Links


If you are a medical resident or fellow and have questions about immunizations or health services, contact:

Heather Woeste