International Medical Graduates
The University of Minnesota welcomes International Medical Graduates (IMGs) to our residencies and fellowships.
Eligibility of international medical graduates (IMGs)
Per the Eligibility and Selection of Residents/Fellows Policy, to qualify for a residency/fellowship at the University of Minnesota, International Medical Graduates (IMGs) must meet all criteria found in the policy and provide documentation of one of the following:
- A currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), or
- An unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. state, or
- Successful completion of a Fifth Pathway Program in an LCME-accredited medical school in the United States.
An International Medical Graduate is a physician who received his/her basic medical degree or qualification from a medical school located outside the United States and Canada. The location of the medical school, not the citizenship of the physician, determines whether the graduate is an IMG. This means that U.S. citizens who graduated from medical schools outside the United States and Canada are considered IMGs.
International Medical Graduate (IMG) Orientation
Each summer the GME office holds a special IMG Orientation Session for all incoming residents and fellows who are IMGs, new to the University of Minnesota, and also new to the US Medical System.
University of Minnesota IMG Social Group
The IMG Social Group is made of IMGs (international medical graduates) residents/fellows/medical students/residency applicants who want to support IMG healthcare professionals orient themselves in the new US environment and integrate them in their new role at the University of Minnesota (UofM).
- The IMG Social Group provides content for the IMG Resource Google Site. Questions you may have on how to connect with the group, DEI intiatives in your program, J-1 specific information, travel information, moving to Minnesota, all can be found on this site.
Template for Rounding - This template was created by a UMN IMG trainee and offered for use by other IMGs: "Maybe it will help them to organize their thoughts and will also guide them about what they should know about the patient."
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
The ISSS website contains a wealth of information to support international students throughout their time at the University, including:
- English Language Opportunities at the University of Minnesota
- Family Resource Guide
- Identification Documents
- International Specialty and Ethnic Grocery Markets in the Twin Cities
- ECFMG Website
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- University of Minnesota International Student & Scholar Services
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security website
- U.S. Department of State website
- U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website
Institutional Policies Regarding IMGs
J-1 Visa questions:
Contact Christy Illig via email at email@example.com
Orientation session for IMGs (International Medical Graduates) questions:
Contact Christy Illig at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the individual program to which you plan to apply for information about eligibility and their application process.