Employment-Related Information

Below are most frequently asked about employment topics.

Expand all


Benefits for medical residents and fellows are managed through the UMN Office of Student Health Benefits (OSHB).  

View the OSHB Resident/Fellow Benefits site for comprehensive information about the resident/fellow benefit package, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.

Medical malpractice credentialing / insurance verification

Residents and fellows are covered by malpractice insurance (professional liability) while they are participating in clinical, research, and/or educational rotations fulfilling the requirements of their program.  Note activities such as moonlighting and volunteer work require independent professional liability coverage (UMN malpractice does NOT cover).  


When you begin a new residency or fellowship program at the University of Minnesota, you will attend a central GME orientation session in addition to your program-specific orientation.


While training at the UMN, you are governed by program, institution, and University policies.  In cases where a program's policies are more rigid than the institution manual, the program policy would be followed.  Should a program policy conflict with the institution manual, the institution manual takes precedence.


Your program and the central GME office will communicate with you directly about your employment requirements, which include but are not limited to:

Stipend / Pay

Current Stipend Rates Stipend Steps by Program Level

Pay dates

Trainees are paid an annual stipend as stated in the Residency/Fellowship Agreement and in the Program's Policy Manual. Trainees receive their stipend via a biweekly paycheck.  Trainees are encouraged to use the direct deposit system, as physical checks have the potential of being lost or delayed in the mail.  Paychecks are mailed, or credited to bank accounts of those using the direct-deposit system on these payroll dates.

Understanding your pay statement

Updates to Address/W4/Direct Deposit

Update your email address, apply for direct deposit and to update your W4 

  • Instructions for MyU: Here

Visa Sponsorship

The J-1 alien physician visa is the preferred visa of University of Minnesota Medical School residencies and fellowships.  As an institution, the University of Minnesota also allows for residents and fellows to be sponsored on H-1B visas; however, each program determines whether H-1B visas are appropriate for their program.