Orientation Requirements (see also: Orientation Policy)
All incoming residents and fellows, in both ACGME-accredited and non-accredited programs, who are starting in a new residency or fellowship program at the University of Minnesota are required to attend one of our GME Orientation sessions. This requirement includes those trainees moving from one UMN program to another.
Central GME orientation is held in mid-June and early July to accommodate the vast majority of our incoming residents and fellows who start on cycle with the start of the academic year. Additional abbreviated sessions are held in mid-July and early August for those trainees who begin in their program after the main orientation dates.
As you enter a new UMN GME residency or fellowship program, you are expected to:
- Complete all requirements issued through your onboarding checklist in RMS (log into RMS using the username and password information you received via email from email@example.com),
- Attend an in-person central orientation session (you will receive an email invitation with details about your scheduled session),
- Be fitted for a respirator (refer to the Occupational Health, Safety, & Immunization Requirements page for details about respirator fit testing and medical clearance), and
- Review all orientation resources listed below on this page ("Orientation resources for review").
Orientation Day of Resources
The GME Orientation google sites page will give you information you need to know for the day of orientation. This site is updated before the first central session in June, and will provide you with valuable resources that you can access year round.
Central GME orientation sessions
2023 GME Orientation Dates
Central Orientation Sessions:
- Friday, June 16, 2023, In Person
- Friday, July 7, 2023, In Person
- Tuesday, August 1, 2023, Virtual
International Medical Graduate Orientation:
- TBD: IMG orientation, Time TBD
International Medical Graduates (IMG) Resources
IMG orientation event
Each year, the UMN GME office hosts an orientation event exclusively for International Medical Graduates, to welcome them to the Twin Cities and help ease their transition to the US medical system. The IMG event this year will be structured differently in the past. More information will be sent to you closer to your start date from the central GME Office.
- All IMGs must have their "valid indefinitely" ECFMG Certificate on file with MMCGME Services. You will be prompted to submit this via your RMS Onboarding checklist.
- Timeframe for completion: By the end of first month of training (mandatory).
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMG resource information
Related links for IMGs
Orientation resources for review
Below are important resources to review as you begin your program, and to refer back to throughout your training at the University of Minnesota.
To find additional materials presented during your central UMN GME orientation, locate your session's agenda under one of the drop-down menus above. All presentations are linked in the agenda for your convenience.
- HIPAA Training (PowerPoint)
- Infection Control and Prevention Fundamentals (PowerPoint)
- Transfusion at the University of Minnesota Medical Center (UMMC) (Video)
- Teaching Physician Billing and Documentation Primer
- See also: Resources for current residents & fellows
- Contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to enroll in health/dental insurance by emailing email@example.com
The Graduate Medical Education Administration office looks forward to welcoming you to your new University of Minnesota program at one of our central orientation sessions.