The Stone Lab
Dr. Stone received her PhD in Neuroscience at the University of Minnesota, completed post-doctoral training at the Oregon Health and Sciences University and was on the faculty at McGill University from 2007-2020. Dr. Stone returned to the University of Minnesota to join the Department of Anesthesiology in June 2020. She is an inventor on 7 patents, has co-authored over 70 manuscripts.
Areas of Focus
Current research projects utilize both pre-clinical models and patient populations to investigate the mechanisms underlying low back and musculoskeletal pain, the optimization of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments and the epigenetic regulation of chronic pain.
- Whittal, M., Poynter, S., Samms, K., Briar, K.J., Sinopoli, S., Millecamps, M., Stone, L.S., DeWitte-Orr, S., Gregory, D., 2022. TAK-242 treatment and its effect on mechanical properties and gene expression associated with IVD degeneration in SPARC-null mice. European Spine Journal, 31 (10): doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-022-07310-y
- Bolt, J., Patel, F., Stone, L.S., Pandian, D., Manuel, M., Gaines, N., 2022. Impact of COVID-19 on pediatric mental and behavioral health visits to the emergency department. Pediatric Emergency Care, 38 (8): doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0000000000002794
- Angarita-Fonseca, A., Pagé, G., Meloto, C., Gentile, E.L., Léonard, G., Massé-Alarie, H., Tufa, L., Roy, J.S., Stone, L.S., Choinière, M., Fortin, M., Roy, M., Sean, M., Tétreault, P., Rainville, P., Deslauriers, S., Lacasse, A., 2022. The Canadian version of the NIH minimum dataset for chronic low back pain research: Reference values from the Quebec Low Back Pain Study. PAIN: doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000002703
- Millecamps, M., Sotocinal, S., Austin, J.S., Stone, L.S., Mogil, J.S., 2022. Sex-specific effects of neuropathic pain on long-term pain behavior and mortality in mice. PAIN: doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000002742
- Lee, S., Kawarai, Y., Ouellet, J., Haglund, L., Szyf, M., Stone, L.S., 2022. DNA methylation in degenerating human intervertebral discs. Journal of Pain, 23 (5): doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2022.03.148
- Millecamps, M., Gregoire, S., Stone, L.S., 2022. Inter- and trans-generational inheritance of paternal chronic pain to male and female offspring in mice. Journal of Pain, 23 (5): doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2022.03.102
- Buck, E., Lee, S., Gao, Q., Tran, S., Tamimi, F., Stone, L.S., Cerruti, M., 2022. The role of surface chemistry in the osseointegration of peek implants. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering, 8 (4): doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsbiomaterials.1c01434
- Massé-Alarie, H., Angarita-Fonseca, A., Lacasse, A., Pagé, G., Tétreault, P., Fortin, M., Léonard, G., Stone, L.S., Roy, J.S., 2022. Low back pain definitions: Effect on patient inclusion and clinical profiles. Pain Reports, 7 (2): doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/PR9.0000000000000997
- Grégoire, S., Cheishvili, D., Salmon-Divon, M., Dymov, S., Topham, L., Calderon, V., Shir, Y., Szyf, M., Stone, L.S., 2021. Epigenetic signature of chronic low back pain in human T cells. Pain Reports, 6 (4): doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/PR9.0000000000000960
- Kawarai, Y., Jang, S. H., Lee, S., Millecamps, M., Kang, H., Gregoire, S., Suzuki-Narita, M., Ohtori, S., Stone, L.S., 2021. Exercise attenuates low back pain and alters epigenetic regulation in intervertebral discs in a mouse model. The Spine Journal, 21 (11): doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2021.06.002
2019: International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine - Best Paper Award (Basic Science Category) – Awarded for the manuscript entitled: ISSLS Prize in Basic Science: Physical activity attenuates fibrotic alterations to the multifidus muscle associated with intervertebral disc degeneration. European Spine Journal, 28(5):893-904, May 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30737621.
2014: International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine - Best Paper Award (Basic Science Category) – Awarded for the manuscript entitled: “ISSLS Prize Winner: Increased Innervation and Sensory Nervous System Plasticity in a Mouse Model of Low Back Pain due to Intervertebral Disc Degeneration” by M. Miyagi, M. Millecamps, A.T. Danco, S. Ohtori, K. Takahashi and L.S. Stone; Spine 39:1345-1354.
2011: Quebec Science Top 10 – Selected by Quebec Science Magazine as one of the top 10 scientific discoveries in the province for “Effective treatment of chronic low back pain reverses structural and functional brain changes” by D.A. Seminowicz, T.H. Wideman, L. Naso, Z. Hatami-Khoroushahi, S. Fallatah, M. Ware, P. Jarzem, M.C. Bushnell, Y. Shir, J.A. Ouellet, and L.S. Stone,Journal of Neuroscience, 31(20):7540-7550.
2006: American Pain Society John C. Liebeskind Early Career Scholar Award - This award recognizes early career achievements that have or show exceptional promise of making an outstanding contribution to pain scholarship. One award per year.
1999: John J. Bonica Post-Doctoral Training Fellowship - This training fellowship is awarded annually to one individual by the International Association for the Study of Pain. The 1999 fellowship represented the inaugural award.
1999: Bacaner Research Award – This award is given annually at the University of Minnesota to recognize excellence in creative research by graduating students in the Medical Sciences.
1998: Patrick J. Manning Research Award - This award is given annually at the University of Minnesota “In recognition of significant contributions to biomedical research and to the enhancement of the welfare of animals used in research”.
2020-2025: CIHR (Canadian Institutes for Health Research) Project Grant – “Chronotherapy of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs could enhance bone fracture recovery” (Role = co-PI, Nominated Principle Applicant = Dr. Faleh Tamimi)
2020-2025: US Department of Defense - Chronic Pain Management Research Program – “Understanding Acute to Chronic Back Pain Pathways and Testing New Solutions” (Role = co-I; PI = Dr. David Klyne; additional co-I’s Dr. Mary Barbe and Dr. Paul Hodges).
2019-2021: NIH (National Institutes of Health; USA) (Subaward on 1R21NS113335) – “Targeting the VFG signaling system for new chronic pain treatments”. (Role = co-I, PI = Dr. Lucy Vulchanova).
2016-2021: CIHR (Canadian Institutes for Health Research) Project Grant 362909 – “Epigenetic Mechanisms in Chronic Pain” (Role = Principle Investigator, Co-PI =Dr. Moshe Szyf, Co-Investigator = Dr. Magali Millecamps).
2015-2020: CIHR (Canadian Institutes for Health Research) Operating Grant MOP-142291- “Low back pain: from mechanism to therapeutic intervention” (Role = Principle Investigator, Co-Investigators = Dr. Magali Millecamps, Dr. Lisbet A Haglund).
Dr. Laura Stone
Jackson Hall 4-145
321 Church St SE,
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Campus Mailing Address:
420 Delaware Street SEMMC 294
Minneapolis, MN 44544