Clinical Quality, Outcomes, Discovery, and Evaluation Core
Democratizing data access for clinical researchers to improve healthcare quality and delivery
We aim to facilitate a pathway to pursue data-centric research that improves healthcare quality and delivery. We accomplish this by democratizing data access for clinical and non-clinical researchers. We provide a platform to share resources to achieve economies of scale and facilitate new research projects that increase the velocity of evaluation, insights and discovery.
The core's focus is to provide the data infrastructure and streamlined access to the emergence of health services research encompassing outcomes research, quality improvement, and implementation science with a focus on providing these services:
- Our data repository helps researchers observe population-level outcomes that translates into real health benefits to society.
- Data to assist in the delivery of recommended timely care to the right patient.
- We support study design and initiation, grant and manuscript writing, and submission.
Work with us! Go to our Center's services page and fill out the CLHSS request form to get started.
Need data? CQODE can provide data from our extensive library with a tailored fit for the goals of your project.
Some examples of data servers we work with are:
- UMN EHR (i.e. Acute DataMart)
- HCUP SID (Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project State Inpatient Database)
- HCUP NIS (Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project National Inpatient Database)
- NTDB (National Trauma Data Bank)
- NSQIP (National Surgical Quality Improvement Program)
- TQIP (Trauma Quality Improvement Program)
- SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results)
- NCDB (National Cancer Database)
- Scientific Co-Director, Schelomo Marmor, PhD, MPH
- Scientific Co-Director, Chris Tignanelli, MD, MS
- Steering Committee, Stephen Huddleston, MD, PhD
- Steering Committee, Robert McGovern, MD
- Steering Committee, Stephanie Misono, MD, MPH, FACS
- Steering Committee, Billy Sveen, MD, MA
- Steering Committee, Rachel I. Vogel, PhD
- Project Manager, Andrea Park
- Data Science Manager, Akshay Bhardwaj, MS
- Data Analyst, Brooke Patterson, MPH
- Data Analyst, Ayako Sekiya, MPH
Featured Use Cases
February 2023 – Pancreatic Cancer Study
Real-world impact of initial treatment modality on survival outcomes in patients with stage I-III pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma
Using real-world data, researchers aimed to evaluate the treatment modalities and subsequent survival outcomes for patients diagnosed with pancreatic adenocarcinoma within the M Health/Fairview medical system.
Project Lead: Ajay Prakash, MD, PhD
October 2022 – Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Humans
University of Minnesota awarded $21M to lead research revealing effects of vagus nerve stimulation in humans
The Research Evaluating Vagal Excitation and Anatomical Links (REVEAL) project is a $21 million NIH-funded project that will take place over three years. REVEAL aims to study the anatomical connections and functional effects of vagus nerve stimulation, which is an FDA-approved treatment for epilepsy and depression.
From the University of Minnesota, the study team includes faculty from multiple departments across the Medical School, the College of Science and Engineering, and the School of Public Health. These faculty also represent the Center for Neuroengineering, the Institute for Engineering in Medicine, the Clinical Quality Outcomes, Discovery and Evaluation (CQODE) Core and the Minnesota Consortium for Autonomic Neuromodulation.