Since 1989, the University of Minnesota LSSURP has offered life sciences research programs for undergraduate students who have a goal of enrolling in Ph.D. and M.D./Ph.D programs. LSSURP is supported by the University of Minnesota Medical School. The programs begin with a joint orientation weekend, followed by participation in a 10-week research project under the direction of a University of Minnesota faculty mentor and numerous special activities focused on professional development as well as social interaction. The summer research experience concludes with a poster symposium and banquet in August.
LSSURP has given students that have been traditionally underrepresented in the life sciences the experience and training that enhances their ability to pursue a career in research. This represents a long-standing commitment to increasing the impact and quality of life science research at the University of Minnesota, which is strengthened when there is diversity in our faculty and students. We strongly encourage students whose backgrounds encompass diversity in culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, and economic background to apply for our summer research positions.
Hear from LSSURP Alumni:
2021 Three LSSURP scholars featured in the August 9, 2021 Medical School Newsletter.
Program Quick Facts
- 10 week research program
- Research project and mentor assigned based on student interest
- Accepts ~70-80 new students each year
- Competitive compensation package including a stipend, housing (room and meal plan in on-campus residence hall for most participants), and travel to and from the program
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or its possessions
- Must be an undergraduate student attending an accredited 2 or 4 year institution full time
- Must be interested in pursuing a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in the Life Sciences
- Applicant must be able to commit full time to our program. All students are required to attend every day of the program and to work for a full day. You will not be allowed to take time off during the work week for family vacations, classes, part-time jobs, or other appointments.
- We strongly encourage students whose backgrounds encompass diversity to apply
Summer 2022 Program Information:
Program Dates: June 5th – August 13th, 2022
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 1st, 2022 at Midnight