Current Medical Residents
Shunqing Zhang, MD
2022-2023: PGY5 (Chief Resident)
Hometown: Shanghai, China
Undergraduate: Cornell University
Medical School: SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine
Internship: Internal Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago
Academic interest: Since beginning residency, Dr. Zhang has begun to develop a research interest in the management of head and neck malignancies.
Hobbies: Outside of work, Dr. Zhang enjoys cooking, dining out in new restaurants, traveling, watching movies and participating in sports.
Teresa Easwaran, MD
Hometown: Kalamazoo, MI
Undergraduate: Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
Major: Cello Performance
Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine
Internship: General Surgery, Indiana University
Academic interest: CNS, Pediatrics, Head & Neck
Hobbies: Outside of work, Dr. Easwaran enjoys coaching/volunteering with the Special Olympics, and running. She is currently a running mentor for Mile in My Shoes.
Susan Sun, MD
Hometown: Rochester, MN
Undergraduate: Northwestern University
Major: Biological Sciences
Medical School: University of Minnesota
Internship: Internal Medicine, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Academic interest: Dr. Sun's research interests in residency include examining outcomes after ocular brachytherapy. She is also interested in medical education and technology in healthcare.
Hobbies: Outside of work, Dr. Sun enjoys hiking and traveling.
Erin McCammack, MD
Hometown: Carmel, Indiana
Undergraduate: Wake Forest University
Medical School: Indiana University
Internship: Internal Medicine, Ascension St. Vincent, Indianapolis
Academic Interest: Dr. McCammack is board certified in internal medicine and is pursuing a second speciality in radiation oncology. She has always had an interest in oncology and performed research testing drugs that have potential to act as radio-sensitizers in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. After she completes her residency, she would like to join a practice where she focuses on the treatment of breast cancer and gynecological cancer. She also has a strong interest in brachytherapy.
Hobbies: She enjoys oil painting, going on walks with her dog Bruno, snow skiing, and traveling.
Alex Grosinger, MD
Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
Undergraduate: Tufts University
Medical School: Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
Internship: Ascension St. Joseph Transitional Year, Milwaukee, WI
Hobbies: Skiing, guitar, hiking
Brian Jang, MD
Hometown: Monterey, CA
Undergraduate: University of Colorado, Boulder
Medical School: Tulane University
Internship: Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Transitional Year
Academic Interests: Before medical school, Dr. Jang had an interest in cancer treatment. He developed a database driven visualization application during his medical school anatomy class, and later participated in a summer internship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Currently, his interests are in head and neck, prostate, and gynecological cancers.
Hobbies: On the weekends, Dr. Jang enjoys biking, skiing, cooking, and renovating his house.
Resident News & Kudos
- Congratulations Dr. Teresa Easwaran on being awarded the Global Radiation Oncology Workforce (GROW) Scholarship from the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO)! This scholarship is dedicated to broadening awareness and support for cancer education and treatment in developing countries.
- Congratulations to Dr. Susan Sun for being accepted into the Resident Leadership Academy! https://med.umn.edu/residents-fellows/current-residents-fellows/education-and-development
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran on being selected to serve as a resident moderator for Radiation Oncology Virtual Education Rotation (ROVER).
- Congratulations to Dr. Colton Gits and Dr. Sherif Shaaban for successfully completing residency!
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran, whose research "Patterns of Stereotactic Radiosurgery Utilization Following Passage of the Affordable Care Act in the United States" was selected for ORAL AND POSTER PRESENTATION at the Brain Tumor Program Neuro-Oncology Symposium, held on May 23, 2022. She was mentored by Dr. Lindsey Sloan.
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran, whose research "Cognitive disturbance and neurologic sequelae in young patients with primary CNS lymphoma treated with whole brain radiation therapy" was accepted for POSTER PRESENTATION at the 2022 Minnesota Society for Clinical Oncology Spring Conference. She was mentored by Dr. Terezakis.
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran, whose research "Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Utilization of Stereotactic Radiosurgery in the United States" was accepted for POSTER PRESENTATION at the 2022 American Radium Society Annual Meeting. She was mentored by Dr. Lindsey Sloan.
- Congratulations to our residents whose abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the 2022 ASTRO Annual Meeting to be held October 23-26 in San Antonio.
- Teresa Easwaran
- Poster: Neurotoxicity outcomes following whole brain radiation therapy in patients with primary CNS lymphoma
- Poster: Multi-institutional investigation of dose-escalated photon radiotherapy for intracranial ependymoma
- Shunqing Zhang
- Poster: Considerations in treatment planning and dosimetric specifications of permanent 131Cs brachytherapy implantation in treatment of brain tumor - an institutional experience
- Congratulations to Dr. Shunqing Zhang for publishing in Neuro-Oncology Advances.
- GammaTile Brachytherapy in the Treatment of Recurrent Glioblastomas. Gessler, D., Neil, E., Shah, R., Levine, J., Shanks, J., Wilke, C., Reynolds, M., Zhang, S., Ozutemiz, C., Gencturk, M., Folkertsma, M., Bell, WR., Chen, L., Ferreira, C., Dusenbery, K., Chen, C. Neurooncol Adv. 2021 Dec 27. doi: 10.1093/noajnl/vdab185
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran for publishing in Cureus.
- Rapid Interval Recurrence of Glioblastoma Following Gross Total Resection: A Possible Indication for GammaTile Brachytherapy. Easwaran, T., Sterling, D., Ferreira, C., Sloan, L., Wilke, C., Neil, E., Shah, R., Chen, C., Dusenbery, K. Cureus. 2021 Nov 12. doi: 10.7759/cureus.19496
- Dr. Easwaran was awarded 1st place in the "Surgically Targeted Radiation Therapy for Brain Tumors: Clinical Case Review" publishing competition for this research.
- Congratulations to Dr. Shunqing Zhang for being accepted into the Resident Leadership Academy! https://med.umn.edu/residents-fellows/current-residents-fellows/education-and-development
- Congratulations to Dr. Easwaran (PI: Dr. Terezakis) and Dr. Shaaban (PI: Dr. Wilke) for their research studey approval by IRB.
- STUDY00012960: Clinical outcomes in ependymoma after radiotherapy. PI: Dr. Terezakis, Co-I: Dr. Easwaran. The primary objective of this multi-site retrospective chart review is to characterize the event-free survival and overall survival of pediatric and young adult patients with ependymoma after photon radiotherapy.
- STUDY 00012899: Clinical Outcomes and Patterns of Failure in ENB. PI: Dr. Wilke, Co-I: Dr. Shaaban. This retrospective single institution review will report the experience with the management of Esthesioneuroblatoma (ENB) focusing on treatment approaches, patterns of failure and clinical outcomes, including disease recurrence, disease free survival and overall survival.
- Congratulations to Dr. Sherif Shaaban for publishing a chapter entitled Pediatric Brain Tumors in Diagnosis, Management and Modeling of Neurodevelopment Disorders: The Neuroscience of Development. doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-817988-8.00009-9
- Congratulations to Dr. Allen Rossetti-Chung for successfully completing residency! He will be starting his new position at Allegheny Health Network in Erie. PA in 09/2021.
- Congratulations to Dr. Susan Sun for publishing in Clinical Ophthalmology.
- Teaching Smartphone Funduscopy with 20 Diopter Lens in Undergraduate Medical Education. Kohler J, Tran TM, Sun S, Montezuma SR. Clin Ophthalmol. 2021 May 13; 15:2013-2023. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S266123.
- Congratulations to our residents whose abstracts have been accepted for presentation at 2021 ASTRO to be held October 24-27 in Chicago.
- Susan Sun
- Poster #2334: Influence of Total Body Irradiation Dose Rate on Idiopathic Pneumonia Syndrome in Pediatric Patients with Acute Leukemia Undergoing Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
- Presenter: Susan Sun
- Author Block: Susan Sun, Todd DeFor, Eric Ehler, Daniel Weisdorf, Margaret Macmillan, Stephanie Terezakis, Kathryn Dusenbery
- Track: Pediatric Cancer
- Shunqing Zhang
- Poster #2336: Renal dysfunction in pediatric acute leukemia patients after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation with total body irradiation-containing conditioning regimen
- Presenter: Shunqing Zhang
- Author Block: Shunqing Zhang, Kathryn Dusenbery, Stephanie Terezakis, Todd DeFor, Eric Ehler, Margaret Macmillan
- Track: Pediatric Cancer
- Teresa Easwaran
- Poster #2859: Patterns of failure in immunosuppressed patients with cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck
- Presenter: Teresa Easwaran
- Author Block: Teresa Easwaran, Christopher Wilke, Sobia Khaja
- Track: Head and Neck Cancer
- Sherif Shaaban
- Poster # 1023: Clinical Outcomes of Post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD): Role of radiation therapy in improvement of disease response
- Presenter: Sherif Shaaban
- Author Block: Sherif Shaaban, Najla El Jurdi, Samy Riad, Stephanie Terezakis
- Scientific Session Title: Hem 2 - The evolving role of radiation in indolent lymphomas
- Congratulations to Dr. Sherif Shaaban whose research entitled "Impact of Radiation Therapy on Survival of Pediatric Metastatic Neuroblastoma: Analysis of The National Cancer Database" has been selected for POSTER PRESENTATION at the 2021 ARS Annual Meeting being held at the Hyatt Regency Maui in Hawaii, September 29-October 3, 2021.
- Congratulations to Dr. Sherif Shaaban for his two research studies approved by IRB (PI: Dr. Terezakis).
- Dr. Terezakis (PI) and Sherif Shaaban (Student Investigator), Characterization of clinical outcomes for patients with high-risk neuroblastoma after radiotherapy. A multi-institutional, retrospective, cohort study, which explores patterns of locoregional relapse after radiotherapy in patients with high-risk neuroblastoma, and identifies clinical and treatment characteristics that may predict locoregional relapse.
- Dr. Terezakis (PI) and Sherif Shaaban (Student Investigator), Patterns of Failure and Clinical Outcomes of Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease (PTLD). This retrospective review examines clinical outcomes, including local control and survival, as well as patterns of failure among patients with Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease (PTLD) who were treated and/or followed at University of Minnesota. In addition, the study will assess the impact of radiation therapy on the local control and survival of PTLD patients.
- Congratulations to Dr. Teresa Easwaran for publishing in Neuromolecular Medicine.
- Molecular Classification of Gliomas is Associated with Seizure Control: A Retrospective Analysis. Easwaran, TP, Lancki N, Henriquez M, Vortmeyer AO, Barbaro NM, Scholtens DM, Ahmed AU, Dey M. Neuromolecular Med. 2020 Nov 18. doi: 10.1007/s12017-020-08624-0.
- Congratulations to Dr. Susan Sun for her work published in J Neural Eng.
- Improved mobility performance with an artificial vision therapy system using a thermal sensor. He Y, Sun SY, Roy A, Caspi A, Montezuma SR. J Neural Eng. 2020 Aug 4;17(4):04501110.1088/1741-2552/aba4fb
Jianling Yuan, MD, PhD
Medical and Physics Residency Coordinator