Employment-Related Information

Below are most frequently asked about employment topics.

Expand all


The Office of Student Health Benefits manages resident and fellow benefits including: dental; medical; life; voluntary life, long-term and short-term disability, insurance coverage changes and pre-tax benefits.

Medical malpractice credentialing / insurance verification

Residents and fellows are covered by malpractice insurance (professional liability) while they are participating in clinical, research, and/or educational rotations fulfilling the requirements of their program.  Note activities such as moonlighting and volunteer work require independent professional liability coverage (UMN malpractice does NOT cover).  


When you begin a new residency or fellowship program at the University of Minnesota, you will attend a central GME orientation session in addition to your program-specific orientation.


While training at the UMN, you are governed by program, institution, and University policies.  In cases where a program's policies are more rigid than the institution manual, the program policy would be followed.  Should a program policy conflict with the institution manual, the institution manual takes precedence.


Your program and the central GME office will communicate with you directly about your employment requirements, which include but are not limited to:

Stipend / Pay

Current Stipend Rates Stipend Steps by Program Level


Pay dates

Trainees are paid an annual stipend as stated in the Residency/Fellowship Agreement and in the Program's Policy Manual. Trainees receive their stipend via a biweekly paycheck.  Trainees are encouraged to use the direct deposit system, as physical checks have the potential of being lost or delayed in the mail.  Paychecks are mailed, or credited to bank accounts of those using the direct-deposit system on these payroll dates.

Understanding your pay statement

Resident & Fellow Benefits

Benefits for medical residents and fellows are managed through the UMN Office of Student Health Benefits.  

View the OSHB Resident/Fellow Benefits site for comprehensive information about the resident/fellow benefit package, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.

Impact of unpaid leave of absence

Individuals who qualify for FMLA will have the employer portion of their benefits paid for by the University for up to 12 unpaid weeks per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).

For individuals who do not qualify for FMLA and are on unpaid leave of absence, the University discontinues the employer contribution toward the cost of your medical, dental, and life insurance benefits. You have the option to continue these benefits and your flexible spending accounts (health care and/or dependent care), but you will be responsible for paying for the full cost of the coverage. If you choose to continue some or all of your benefits, you will be directly billed for the cost of the coverage. Once you return to active employment, you will again receive the University's contribution, if eligible.

Updates to Address/W4/Direct Deposit

Update your email address, apply for direct deposit and to update your W4 

  • Instructions for MyU: Here

Visa Sponsorship

The J-1 alien physician visa is the preferred visa of University of Minnesota Medical School residencies and fellowships.  As an institution, the University of Minnesota also allows for residents and fellows to be sponsored on H-1B visas; however, each program determines whether H-1B visas are appropriate for their program.