The University of Minnesota's Department of Orthopedic Surgery hosts Grand Rounds every Friday from 7 - 8 a.m. Please note that viewing streamed or archived video presentations will not count for Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.
At this time, Grand Rounds is limited to current orthopedic surgery residents and rotating medical students. All other participants can attend virtually via Zoom.
To watch live, go to Zoom and enter the meeting number: 958-0442-2035
GRAND ROUNDS ARCHIVE
- Allison Rao, MD: Orthobiologics - Chasing the Fountain of Youth?
- Eric McCarty, MD: Management of Shoulder Instability in the Collision Athlete
- David Polly, MD; Ed Cheng, MD; & Marc Swiontkowski, MD: How to Get Your Manuscript Published and Career Development Through Scholarly Publication
- Shea Comadoll, MD: The History of Limb Lengthening
- Mahad Hassan, MD: Femoroacetabular Microinstability: A Primer
- Edward Wu, MD: Scaphoid Fractures (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- Patrick Yoon, MD & Jessica Downes, MD: Problem Ankles Fractures
- Jesse Hoffmeister, PhD, CCC-SLP; Schelomo Marmor, PhD, MPH; & Prajwal Pradhan, PhD: C-QODE: Democratizing Data for Researchers Across the Medical School
- David Templeman, MD: The Evolution of Pelvic Surgery
- Zachary Quanbeck, MD, PGY-4: Bending the Curve: Posterior Correction Techniques in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Michael Millis, MD: Hipology 2022: Philosophy, Science, and Craft
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency Class of 2026: PGY-1 Research Presentations
- David Dejour, MD, PhD; Guri Ekas, MD, PhD; Katja Tecklenburg, MD, PhD; & Maristella Saccomanno, MD, PhD; Sports Medicine Traveling Fellows: AOSSM/ESSKA
- Celebration of Women in Sports & Orthopedic Surgery Symposium
- Elizabeth Arendt, MD: Reflections on My Journey
- Khalid Azzam, MD: Metal Allergy in Total Knee Replacement: Does it Really Exist?
- Katie Krenek, MD, PGY-4: Vertebral Body Tethering: Is it Time to Start Drinking the Kool-Aid?
- Christopher Dunne, MD & Ryan Fouts, LCSW: Trans Healthcare & Orthopedics
- Christopher Dunne, MD & Ryan Fouts, LCSW: Trans Healthcare & Orthopedics
- Naoko Onizuka, MD, PhD, MPH: Delirium in Hip Fracture Patients
- Diana Cowdrey, MD & Parker Hanson, DO: Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellows Presentations (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- Marc Switonkowski, MD & David Fischer, MD: TRIA - The History
- Caroline Hu, MD, PGY-4: Thumb CMC Joint: Nursery and Nursing Home
- Steven Stovitz, MD: Evidence Interpretation for the Orthopedic/Sports Medicine Clinician
- Amanda Honsvall Hoefler, MD, CAQSM: Basic Needs Insecurity in Sports (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- Peter Cole, MD; Ilexa Flagstad, MD, PGY-2; Michael LaRoque, MS-4; Zach Paull, MD: Recent Discoveries of Chest Wall Injury: Forequarter Lateral Implosion Complex, Costal Margin Rupture, and Sternal Fracture Mapping
- Thomas Varecka, MD: Scaphoid from Stem to Stern
- R. Kyle Martin, MD, FRCSC: Machine Learning in Orthopedic Sports Medicine – Clinical Predictive Modeling
- A. Bobby Chhabra, MD: Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Capitellum in the Competitive Adolescent Athlete
- John Corbo, DPT; Matthew Bouche, DPT, CSCS & Jennifer Anklan, DPT; Collaborative Care Approach Utilizing Blood Flow Restriction Training during our Sports Physical Therapy Residency (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- Jeff Theismann, MD, PGY-4, The Shoulder is Reduced, What Do I Do Now? Management of First Time Shoulder Dislocators
- Michael Forseth, MD, Kelsey Wise, MD, PGY-5, Dolly Acosta, MD, and Engels Castellanos, MD: Honduras & One World Surgery: Sustainable Capacity-Building Care
- Marc Tompkins, MD, Nathan Bertelsen, MD, MScPH, Mahad Hassan, MD, and Kee Her-Yang, PA-C: An Approach to Culture and Communication
- Robert LaPrade, MD, PhD: Fix the Meniscus at All Costs: Root, Radial and Ramp Tears
- Mahad Hassan, MD: Evaluation and Management of Femoroacetabular Impingement (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- Steven D. Jackson, MD, MBA: Advancing Health Equity: Actionable Strategies to Building Trust
- Will Freking, MD, PGY-4, Social Media and Orthopedic Surgery
- Brian Cunningham, MD: Pearls and Pitfalls of Surgical Treatment of Distal Femur Fractures
- Elizabeth Arendt, MD: Surgical Complications (and Early Rehab) Following Patella Stabilization Surgery (Athletic Medicine Grand Rounds)
- T32 Trainee Research Presentations
- Mahad Hassan, MD: Evaluation and Management of Borderline Acetabular Dysplasia
- Sean Caskey, DO: Preoperative Considerations in TJA for the Anticoagulated Patient
- Jaren LaGreca, MD, PGY-4: Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair: Repeating a History of Failure or Treatment of the Future?
- Antonia Chen, MD, MBA: Racial Disparities in Total Joint Arthroplasty
- Joel Boyd, MD: Black Medical Education and Health Care Disparities
- Edward Wu, MD: Show Me the Evidence: The Role of Evidence-Based Medicine in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Thomas Varecka, MD: The Elbow from Cradle to Grave
- Scott Marston, MD and Emily Johnson, BA: Developing a Complex Arthroplasty Program: Improving the Care Pathway and Resources to Allow for Success
- Gurmit Singh, MD, PGY-4: Pain in the Buttocks: Differential, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Mark Kelley, BA; Director, Care Group Patient Experience and Clinician Leader Development: HealthPartners: Myths and Realities of Measuring Patient Experience
- Nathan Hendrickson, MD: Risk Stratification and Patient Optimization in Orthopedic Surgery
- Edward McPherson, MD: Periprosthetic Joint Infections: Evolving Trends
- Scott E. Porter, MD, MBA, FACS, FAOA: How do Homogeneous Care Teams Serve a Diverse Population?
- IBé, Shannon Gibney, & Sun Yung Shin: Diversity Book Club - A Good Time for the Truth: Race in Minnesota
- Michael Dohm, MD: Value-Based Care: The Case for Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty for Incomes, Outcomes and Registries
- Duane Anderson, MD: The Challenges and Rewards of Practicing and Teaching Orthopedics in Ethiopia for 16 Years
- Matthew Putnam, MD: Hip Fractures: Fractures of the Radial Head - We Are Not Yet Done
- Elizabeth Arendt, MD & Marc Tompkins, MD: Patellofemoral Surgical Algorithm: Revisiting the Menu
- Erik Fritz, MD, PGY-4: Hip Fractures: Current Evidence-Based Indications and Best Practices for the On-Call Surgeon
- Abraham Jacob, MD, MHA: Building High Reliability in Healthcare
- Travis Frantz, MD; Jay Patel, MD; & Joshua Veenstra, MD: TRIA Sports Medicine Fellowship Research Presentations
- Alicia Harrison, MD: Surgical Education in a Peloton
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency Class of 2025: G1 Research Presentations
- 2021 Residency Recognition Dinner
- John Clohisy, MD: Evolving Strategies to Treat Hip Disease in Young Patients
- Robert Jacobs, MD: Intramedullary Nailing of Tibial Shaft Fractures: Infrapatellar vs Suprapatellar
- David Matson, MD, PGY-4: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Orthopedic Education & Training
- Peter Cole, MD, and Claire Thomas, BS: Chest Wall Exploration - A Pandemic Research Odyssey
- Max Lingamfelter, DO: Neuraxial (Spinal) and Peripheral Anesthetic Blocks in Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty, A Review of Current Data Driven Practices
- Anne Budde, MD, Willl Durfee, PhD, and Paul Iaizzo, PhD: Catalyzing Medical Technology Innovation at the University of Minnesota: How the Institute for Engineering in Medicine and the Bakken Medical Devices Center Can Help
- Jennifer Wolf, MD, PhD: My Journey in Academic Orthopaedics and Tennis Elbow: The Back Pain of the Hand Surgeon
- Ryan Todhunter, MD, PGY-4: Robotics in Total Joint Arthroplasty: Revolutionary Technology or Marketing Gimmick?
- Jutta Ellermann, MD: Musculoskeletal Imaging in Ultrahigh Magnetic Fields (UHF) with Special Focus on Applications for Juveniles and Young Adults to Prevent Osteoarthritis
- Jeffrey Barry, MD: Periprosthetic Joint Infections in 2021: Could Less be More?
- Joan Bechtold, PhD, Aaron Corfield, DPM, Stuart Grande, PhD, and Lily Wood, MD, PGY-1: Challenging the Habits of Care to Encourage Humble and Thoughtful Health Promotion for Underserved Patients
- Andrew Cozadd, PA-C: Bone Health Optimization in Joint Arthroplasty
- Cody Sessions, MD, PGY-4: Need of the Hour - Orthopedic Surgeons' Call to Advance Medical Missions
- David Weatherby, MD: Proximal Humerus Fracture Surgical Indications
- Ramon Gustilo, MD: The Quest for Innovation in Orthopedics
- Etasha Bhatt, MD, and Laura Klingbeil, DO: Ulnar Sided Wrist Pain and Perilunate Injuries
- Musculoskeletal Training Grant Trainee Research Presentations
- Jafar Golzarian, MD, and Reza Talaie, MD: Embolization of Genicular Arteries for the Management of Pain Related to Knee OA
- Kyle Morgenstern, MD, PGY-4: Distal Radius Fractures: The Crossroads of Evidence-Based and Patient-Centered Care
- Brandon Kelly, MD, PGY-4: Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty for Tibial Plateau Fracture
- Denis Clohisy, MD: Staying in Touch with Your Mental Health
- Robert LaPrade, MD, PhD: Evidence-Based Updates on Multiple Ligament Knee Injury in 2020
- Jonathan Sembrano, MD: Cervical Spine Deformity and Cervical Pedicle Screws
- Jennifer Flaherty, PA-C: The Ins and Outs of Postoperative Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
- Dick Beardsley: Staying the Course
- Matthew Putnam, MD: Widget Making 101: The Role of Medical Affairs in Pharma
- Jeffrey Chipman, MD: Disaster Management, Incident Command: Pandemics and Collapsing Bridges
- Fredric Pieracci, MD, MPH: An Evidence-Based Approach to Surgical Stabilization of Rib Fractures
- Tyler Williamson, MD: Meniscal Root Tears
- Choosing a Fellowship: Part 2: Moderated by Ann Van Heest, MD
- Choosing a Fellowship, Part 1: Moderated by Ann Van Heest, MD
- Jonathan Braman, MD, and Alicia Harrison, MD: Shoulder Prostethic Joint Infection: Is Everyone Infected?
- Donald Bae, MD: Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Capitellum: Past, Present, and Future
- Breana Siljander, MD, PGY-4: Outcomes Following Salvage Total Hip Arthroplasty for Failed Fixation of Intra-Capsular Femoral Neck Fractures
- Edward Craig, MD: Athletic Competition and COVID: How are we Managing this Pandemic?
- Michael Howell, MD: Faatigue Management: Waking up to a Better Practice
- Ann Van Heest, MD: ABOS Board Certification - Training and Maintaining Competence
- Aaron Corfield, DPM: A History of Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias in Medicine: History and Today
- Kelsey Wise, MD, PGY-4: Committing to Inclusive Excellence: Diversifying Orthopedics to Foster Innovation and Enhance Patient Care
- Mauricio Kfuri, MD, PhD: "Tibial Plateau Fractures: From the 1950s to the 2020s"
- Andrew Schmidt, MD: Performance Improvement for Surgeons
- Paul Hoogervorst, MD: "PMMA and the North Atlantic Divide"
- PGY-1 Research Presentations
- Judith Baumhauer, MD, MPH: "Patient-Reported Outcomes: How They Influence the Care we Provide to our Patients"
- Michael Baer, MD: Geriatric Hip Fracture Mortality: Redefining Success
- Lauren Smith, MD: Olecranon Fractures: Evolution of Treatment
- G5 Educational Course Presentations
- Deb Bohn, MD, Issac Marsolek, MD, and Sarah Martin, PA-C: Managing Pain - Comprehensive Care Beyond Opioids
- Marc Jenkins, PhD: How the Center for Immunology Got Involved in SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Testing
- José San Miguel, MD, PhD: "Spinopelvic Fixation: History, Evolution, and the Road Ahead"
- Mai Nguyen, MD: Management of Civilian Low-Velocity Gunshot Wound Injuries
- Mark Baratz, MD: It's All About Harmony
- Paul Damrow, MD: An Orthopedic Surgeon Gets a New Hip
- Susan Kline, MD, MPH: COVID-19: Quarantine, Containment, Mitigation
- Patrick Yoon, MD: Challenges and Controversies in Foot and Ankle Trauma:The Calcaneous
- Michael Chau, MD, PGY-4: Osteochondritis Dissecans: 133 Years of Knowledge on an Elusive Disease
- Beth Virnig, PhD, MPH: Uses of Billing Data to Promote Understanding of Care Patterns and Outcomes
- Ian Valerio, MD: Targeted Muscle Reinnervation (TMR) - Delving Deeper into its Applications and Latest Updates
- Scott Allen, MD, PGY-4: "Opiates and Orthopedics: Strategies to Standardize Prescribing Practices and Change Physician Behavior"
- Julie Switzer, MD: Working Together to Achieve Best Orthopedic Care in Older Fracture Patients
- Ramon Gustilo, MD: Clinical Evaluation of the Mechanical Axis Finder by Radiologic Scanogram of the First 100 Axis Knee System Surgeries
- Alexandra Armstrong, DVM, DAVCP: Utilization of Animal Models to Understand Development and Degenerative Joint Diseases
- Robert Wojahn, MD: The Lateral Compression Pelvic Ring Injury: A Spectrum of Injury and Evolving Treatment