How to Apply
How to Apply for Residency
Our residency program has eight positions available, each offered through the Match at the RL-1 level.
The University of Minnesota has developed a RL-1 through -5 year residency training program, with all years under the direction of the Orthopedic Surgery Program Director, Alicia Harrison, MD.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The program interviews individuals who graduate from LCME accredited medical schools. More information about applying electronically is available through the ERAS website. The Department of Orthopedic Surgery will be using a software application, GME Acquity, to gather data from ERAS applications in order to easily sort through applications and build our interview lists. Please click here for what this means for you.
You can also access important information about our program through FREIDA Online.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- USMLE Step 1 results (uploaded through ERAS)
- USMLE STEP 2 CK results (uploaded through ERAS)
All materials must be uploaded by February 1, 2023, in order to be ranked by our program.
The J-1 alien physician visa sponsored by ECFMG is the preferred visa status for foreign national trainees in all UMN graduate medical education programs; therefore, the Department of Orthopedic Surgery Residency program sponsors only J-1 visas. We do not sponsor H-1B visas. More information on the J-1 visa can be found on the UMN-GME webpage.
- September 15, 2022: NRMP Registration Opens
- October 15, 2022: Application Submission Deadline
- November 14, 2022: AOA/CORD Universal Interview Offer Date
- January 2023: Interviews (dates & details coming soon)
- February 1, 2023: Ranking Opens
- March 17, 2023: Match Day
We participate in the NRMP Residency Match. For more information, please review the 2023 Main Residency Match Applicants Calendar