Paari Murugan, MD
Associate Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
Associate Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
MBBS, Madras Medical College, Chennai, India
Residency in Pathology, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Residency in Anatomic Pathology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Fellowship in Oncological Surgical Pathology, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Fellowship in Genitourinary Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Madras Medical College (MBBS), Chennai, India
Dr. Murugan is a board certified anatomic pathologist whose area of expertise is in the surgical pathology of genitourinary and bone / soft tissue tumors. He works closely with multidisciplinary teams involving urologists, orthopedicians, medical/radiation oncologists, and radiologists in providing expert care to patients with kidney, urinary bIadder, prostate, adrenal, testis, bone and soft tissue neoplasms. His role involves establishing accurate tissue diagnosis on biopsies and surgical excisions, a critical component in guiding treatment decisions. In addition to the clinical diagnostic role, Dr. Murugan is involved in medical student, resident and fellow education as well as translational research. He enjoys teaching and is constantly engaged with residents and fellows with interactive discussions during daily sign-outs and conferences. In acknowledgment of his contribution, he was conferred the Anatomic Pathology Teacher of the Year award in 2015, 2018 and 2021. Dr. Murugan has contributed over 75 peer-reviewed publications, numerous scientific meeting presentations, book chapters and has lectured nationally and internationally. He is an associate editor for the journal Diagnostic Pathology and member of the College of American Pathologists' Cancer Committee. He also serves as Medical Director of the University of Minnesota CTSI's Biorepository and Laboratory Services.
Dr. Murugan is a board certified anatomic pathologist whose area of expertise is in the surgical pathology of genitourinary and bone / soft tissue tumors. He works closely with multidisciplinary teams involving urologists, orthopedicians, medical/radiation oncologists, and radiologists in providing expert care to patients with kidney, urinary bIadder, prostate, adrenal, testis, bone and soft tissue neoplasms. His role involves establishing accurate tissue diagnosis on biopsies and surgical excisions, a critical component in guiding treatment decisions.
In addition to the clinical diagnostic role, Dr. Murugan is involved in medical student, resident and fellow education as well as translational research. He enjoys teaching and is constantly engaged with residents and fellows with interactive discussions during daily sign-outs and conferences. In acknowledgment of his contribution, he was conferred the Anatomic Pathology Teacher of the Year award in 2015, 2018 and 2021.
Dr. Murugan has contributed over 75 peer-reviewed publications, numerous scientific meeting presentations, book chapters and has lectured nationally and internationally. He is an associate editor for the journal Diagnostic Pathology and member of the College of American Pathologists' Cancer Committee. He also serves as Medical Director of the University of Minnesota CTSI's Biorepository and Laboratory Services.
- Zhou Y, Rothrock A, Murugan P, Li F, Bu L. Differential expression of preferentially expressed antigen in melanoma (PRAME) in testicular germ cell tumors - A comparative study with SOX17. Exp Mol Pathol. 2022 Apr 4
- Murugan P, Jia L, Dinatale RG, Assel M, Benfante N, Al-Ahmadie HA, Fine SW, Gopalan A, Sarungbam J, Sirintrapun SJ, Hakimi AA, Russo P, Chen YB, Tickoo SK, Reuter VE. Papillary renal cell carcinoma: a single institutional study of 199 cases addressing classification, clinicopathologic and molecular features, and treatment outcome. Mod Pathol. 2021 Dec 23.
- .Che M, Chaturvedi A, Munro S, Pitzen S, Ling A, Zhang W, Mentzer J, Ku SY, Puca L, Zhu Y, Bergman A, Severson T, Forster C, Liu Y, Hildebrand J, Daniel M, Wang TY, Selth L, Hickey T, Zoubeidi A, Gleave M, Bareja R, Sboner A, Tilley W, Carroll J, Tan W, Kohli M, Yang R, Hsieh A, Murugan P, Zwart W, Beltran H, Huang S, and Dehm S. Opposing transcriptional programs of KLF5 and AR emerge during therapy for advanced prostate cancer. Nat Commun 12, 6377 (2021).
- Wheelwright M, Spartz EJ, Skubitz K, Yousaf H, Murugan P, Harmon JV. Primary angiosarcoma of the spleen, a rare indication for splenectomy: a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2021 May
- Sumransub, N., Murugan, P., Marette, S. et al. Multiple malignant tumors in a patient with familial chordoma, a case report. BMC Med Genomics 14, 213 (2021)
- Zhou Y, Murugan P, Li F, Bu L. Needle tract seeding in renal tumor biopsies: experience from a single institution. Diagn Pathol 16, 43 (2021).
- Goyal A, Tope W, Murugan P, Jacobson-Dunlop E, Miller DD. Intravascular pseudolymphomatous angiosarcoma: A new finding potentially mistaken for intravascular lymphoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2021 Apr 25.
- Walmsley SJ, Guo J, Murugan P, Weight CJ, Wang J, Villalta PW, Turesky RJ. Comprehensive Analysis of DNA Adducts Using Data-Independent wSIM/MS2 Acquisition and wSIM-City. Anal Chem. 2021 Apr 12.
- Jong Hyuk Kim JH, Megquier K, Thomas R, Sarver AL, Song JM, Kim YT, Cheng N, Schulte AJ, Linden MA, Murugan P, Oseth L, Forster CL, Elvers I, Swofford R, Turner-Maier J, Karlsson EK, Breen M, Lindblad-Toh K, Modiano JF. Genomically Complex Human Angiosarcoma and Canine Hemangiosarcoma Establish Convergent Angiogenic Transcriptional Programs Driven by Novel Gene Fusions. Mol Cancer Res. 2021 May;19(5):847-861.
- Andrews AR, Kakadekar A, Schmidt RL, Murugan P, Greene DN. Histologic findings in surgical pathology specimens from individuals taking feminizing hormone therapy for the purpose of gender transition: A systematic scoping review. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2021; doi: https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2020-0704-RA
- Ganaie A, Mansini A, Hussain T, Rao A, Siddique H, Shabaneh A, Ferrari M, Murugan P, Klingelhöfer J, Wang J, Ambartsumian N, Warlick C, Konety B, Saleem M. Anti-S100A4 antibody therapy is efficient in treating aggressive prostate cancer and reversing immunosuppression: Serum and biopsy S100A4 as clinical predictor. Mol Cancer Ther, 2020 doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-20-0410.
- Diessner BJ, Weigel BJ, Murugan P, Zhang L, Poynter JN, Spector LG. Racial and ethnic differences in sarcoma incidence are independent of census-tract socioeconomic status. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2020. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-20-0520.
- Diessner BJ, Weigel BJ, Murugan P, Zhang L, Poynter JN, Spector LG. Associations of socioeconomic status, public vs private insurance, and race/ethnicity with metastatic sarcoma at diagnosis. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(8):e2011087. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.
- Dianat S, Yousaf H, Murugan P, Marette S. Pseudomyogenic hemangioendothelioma-A case report and review of the literature. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 Oct;14(10):1228-1232. doi: 10.1016/j.radcr.2019.06.029
- Chen H, Krishnamachari S, Guo J, Yao L, Murugan P, Weight CJ, Turesky RJ. Quantitation of Lipid Peroxidation Product DNA Adducts in Human Prostate by Tandem Mass Spectrometry: A Method That Mitigates Artifacts. Chem Res Toxicol. 2019 Sep 16;32(9):1850-1862. doi: 10.1021/acs.chemrestox.9b00181
- Umbreen S, Banday MM, Jamroze A, Mansini AP, Ganaie AA, Ferrari MG, Maqbool R, Beigh FH, Murugan P, Morrissey C, Corey E, Konety BR, Saleem M. COMMD3:BMI1 fusion and COMMD3 protein regulate C-MYC transcription: Novel therapeutic target for metastatic prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2019 Aug 29;. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-19-0150
- Murugan P, Shukla D, Morocho J, Smith D, Sciacca D, Pickard M, Wahlsten M, Gunderson A, Konety B, Khalifa MA, Warlick C. Prostate Biopsy Processing. Am J Clin Pathol. 2019 Aug 21;. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqz101
- Khalifa MA, Atri M, Klein ME, Ghatak S, Murugan P. Adenomyosis As a Confounder to Accurate Endometrial Cancer Staging. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2019 Aug;40(4):358-363. doi: 10.1053/j.sult.2019.04.004. Epub 2019 Apr 18. Review.
- Batista da Costa J, Gibb EA, Bivalacqua TJ, Liu Y, Oo HZ, Miyamoto DT, Alshalalfa M, Davicioni E, Wright J, Dall'Era MA, Douglas J, Boormans JL, Van der Heijden MS, Wu CL, van Rhijn BWG, Gupta S, Grivas P, Mouw KW, Murugan P, Fazli L, Ra S, Konety BR, Seiler R, Daneshmand S, Mian OY, Efstathiou JA, Lotan Y, Black PC. Molecular Characterization of Neuroendocrine-like Bladder Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Jul 1;25(13):3908-3920. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-3558
- Narayan VM, Gupta S, Davicioni E, Murugan P, Gibb EA, Konety B. Genomic Analysis and Treatment Response of a Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma With Sarcomatoid Variant Histology. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019 May 25;. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2019.05.019
- Sathianathen NJ, Warlick CA, Soubra A, Balaji P, Metzger GJ, Spilseth B, Murugan P, Ordonez M, Weight CJ, Konety BR. Difference in MRI-guided biopsy cancer detection rates between individual clinicians. Urol Oncol. 2019 May;37(5):299.e1-299.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2019.01.032.
- Sathianathen NJ, Warlick CA, Weight CJ, Ordonez MA, Spilseth B, Metzger GJ, Murugan P, Konety BR. A clinical prediction tool to determine the need for concurrent systematic sampling at the time of magnetic resonance imaging-guided biopsy. BJU Int. 2019 Apr;123(4):612-617. doi: 10.1111/bju.14617
- Audenet F, Isharwal S, Cha EK, Donoghue MTA, Drill EN, Ostrovnaya I, Pietzak EJ, Sfakianos JP, Bagrodia A, Murugan P, Dalbagni G, Donahue TF, Rosenberg JE, Bajorin DF, Arcila ME, Hechtman JF, Berger MF, Taylor BS, Al-Ahmadie H, Iyer G, Bochner BH, Coleman JA, Solit DB. Clonal Relatedness and Mutational Differences between Upper Tract and Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 1;25(3):967-976. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-2039
- Alanee S, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Murugan P, Kumar R, Nepple KG, Paner GP, Patel MI, Raspollini MR, Lopez-Beltran A, Konety BR. Update of the International Consultation on Urological Diseases on bladder cancer 2018: non-urothelial cancers of the urinary bladder. World J Urol. 2019 Jan;37(1):107-114. doi: 10.1007/s00345-018-2421-5
- Savani M, Murugan P, Skubitz KM. Long-term cure of soft tissue sarcoma with pegylated-liposomal doxorubicin after doxorubicin and ifosfamide failure. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2019;9:1. Published 2019 Jan 15. doi:10.1186/s13569-018-0111-0
- Domingo-Musibay E, Murugan P, Giubellino A, Sharma S, Steinberger D, Yuan J, Hunt MA, Lou E, Miller JS. Near complete response to Pembrolizumab in microsatellite-stable metastatic sebaceous carcinoma. J Immunother Cancer. 2018 Jun 19;6(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s40425-018-0357-3. PubMed PMID: 29914578.
- Rosenberg JE, Albersheim JA, Sathianathen NJ, Murugan P, Weight CJ. Five new cases of primary renal carcinoid tumor: Case reports and literature review.Pathol Oncol Res. 2018 Oct 25.
- Alanee, S, Alvarado-Cabrero, I, Murugan, P, Kumar, R, Nepple, KG, Paner, GP, Patel, MI, Raspollini, MR, Lopez-Beltran, A & Konety, Update of the International Consultation on Urological Diseases on bladder cancer 2018: Non-urothelial cancers of the urinary bladder. World Journal of Urology. 2018 Aug 1. DOI: 10.1007/s00345-018-2421-5
- Audenet F, Isharwal S, Cha EK, Donoghue MTA, Drill E, Ostrovnaya I, Pietzak EJ, Sfakianos JP, Bagrodia A, Murugan P, Dalbagni G, Donahue TF, Rosenberg JE, Bajorin DF, Arcila ME, Hechtman JF, Berger MF, Taylor BS, Al-Ahmadie HA, Iyer G, Bochner BH, Coleman J, Solit DB. Clonal relatedness and mutational differences between upper tract and bladder urothelial carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Oct 23.
- Bellamri M, Xiao S, Murugan P, Weight CJ, Turesky RJ. Metabolic Activation of the Cooked Meat Carcinogen 2-Amino-1-Methyl-6-Phenylimidazo[4,5-b]Pyridine in Human Prostate. Toxicol Sci. 2018 Jun 1;163(2):543-556. doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfy060. PubMed PMID: 29596660; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5974788.
- Glumac PM, Forster CL, Zhou H, Murugan P, Gupta S, LeBeau AM. The identification of a novel antibody for CD133 using human antibody phage display. Prostate. 2018 May 22. doi: 10.1002/pros.23656. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29790189.
- Qiu K, Zhao Z, Haghiashtiani G, Guo SZ, He M, Su R, Zhu Z, Bhuiyan DB, Murugan P, Meng F, Park SH, Chu CC, Ogle BM, Saltzman DA, Konety BR, Sweet RM, McAlpine MC. 3D Printed Organ Models with Physical Properties of Tissue and Integrated Sensors. Adv Mater Technol. 2018 Mar;3(3). pii: 1700235. doi: 10.1002/admt.201700235. Epub 2017 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 29608202; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5877482.
- Stein T, Murugan P, Li F, El Hag MI. Can Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Arise in Thyroglossal Duct Cysts? A Search for Parafollicular C-cells in 41 Resected Cases. Head Neck Pathol. 2018 Mar;12(1):71-74. doi: 10.1007/s12105-017-0826-x. Epub 2017 May 23. PubMed PMID: 28536894; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5873481.
- Murugan P, Rao P, Tamboli P, Czerniak B, Guo CC. Primary Ewing Sarcoma / Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumor of the Kidney: A Clinicopathologic Study of 23 Cases. Pathol Oncol Res. 2018 Jan;24(1):153-159. doi: 10.1007/s12253-017-0228-0. Epub 2017 Apr 20. PubMed PMID: 28429277.
- Yun BH, Xiao S, Yao L, Krishnamachari S, Rosenquist TA, Dickman KG, Grollman AP, Murugan P, Weight CJ, Turesky RJ. A Rapid Throughput Method To Extract DNA from Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded Tissues for Biomonitoring Carcinogenic DNA Adducts. Chem Res Toxicol. 2017 Dec 18;30(12):2130-2139. doi: 10.1021/acs.chemrestox.7b00218. Epub 2017 Nov 27. PubMed PMID: 29120619; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5822421.
- Shahi M, Dolan M, Murugan P. Hyalinizing Clear Cell Carcinoma of the Bronchus. Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Dec;11(4):575-579. doi: 10.1007/s12105-017-0820-3. Epub 2017 May 16. PubMed PMID: 28508996; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5677074.
- Mesa H, Gilles S, Datta MW, Murugan P, Larson W, Dachel S, Manivel JC. Comparative immunomorphology of testicular Sertoli and sertoliform tumors. Hum Pathol. 2017 Mar;61:181-189. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2016.11.004. Epub 2016 Dec 8. PubMed PMID: 27939779.
- Xiao S, Guo J, Yun BH, Villalta PW, Krishna S, Tejpaul R, Murugan P, Weight CJ, Turesky RJ. Biomonitoring DNA Adducts of Cooked Meat Carcinogens in Human Prostate by Nano Liquid Chromatography-High Resolution Tandem Mass Spectrometry: Identification of 2-Amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine DNA Adduct. Anal Chem. 2016 Dec 20;88(24):12508-12515. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.6b04157. Epub 2016 Dec 1. PubMed PMID: 28139123; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5545982.
- Mesa H, Gilles S, Datta MW, Murugan P, Larson W, Dachel S, Manivel C. Immunophenotypic differences between neoplastic and non-neoplastic androgen-producing cells containing and lacking Reinke crystals. Virchows Arch. 2016 Dec;469(6):679-686. Epub 2016 Oct 1. PubMed PMID: 27696245.
- Murugan P. Editorial Comment. J Urol. 2016 Apr;195(4 Pt 1):891-2. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2015.10.184. Epub 2016 Jan 8. PubMed PMID: 26777242.
- Adibi M, Thomas AZ, Borregales LD, Merrill MM, Slack RS, Chen HC, Sircar K, Murugan P, Tamboli P, Jonasch E, Tannir NM, Matin SF, Wood CG, Karam JA. Percentage of sarcomatoid component as a prognostic indicator for survival in renal cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid dedifferentiation. Urol Oncol. 2015 Oct;33(10):427.e17-23. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2015.04.011. Epub 2015 May 23. PubMed PMID: 26004164; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4584175.
- Singh RR, Murugan P, Patel LR, Voicu H, Yoo SY, Majewski T, Mehrotra M, Wani K, Tannir N, Karam JA, Jonasch E, Wood CG, Creighton CJ, Medeiros LJ, Broaddus RR, Tamboli P, Baggerly KA, Aldape KD, Czerniak B, Luthra R, Sircar K. Intratumoral morphologic and molecular heterogeneity of rhabdoid renal cell carcinoma: challenges for personalized therapy. Mod Pathol. 2015 Sep;28(9):1225-35. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2015.68. Epub 2015 Jun 26. PubMed PMID: 26111976.
- Murugan P, Stevenson ME, Hassell LA. Performance validation in anatomic pathology: successful integration of a new classification system into the practice setting using the updated lung non-small cell carcinoma recommendations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014 Jan;138(1):105-9. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2012-0750-OA. PubMed PMID: 24377817.
- Cheng E, Murugan P, Ogilvie C (2020) Tenosynovial Giant Cell Tumor/Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis: In Trent J, Delaney T, Pollock R, Rosenberg A (eds). Sarcomas: Evidence-based Diagnosis and Management. Springer Publishing Company, New York
- Murugan P, Alanee S. Squamous Carcinoma of Bladder: In Bladder Cancer, International Consultation on Bladder Cancer, European Association of Urology, 3rd ed. 2017
- Gopal M, Murugan P, Mamdani N, Jayashree S, Gopichandran V: Acing the USMLE and the Match – A guide for international medical graduates. Jaypee Medical Publishers, New Delhi, 2008.
American Board of Pathology, 2012