Schedule a Clinic Visit Today!
Over time, it became clear that children who experience foster care shared many of the same needs as children who had experienced institutional care and neglect. This has led to the expansion of the Adoption Medicine Clinic (AMC) to serve children who experience foster or kinship care. Whether a child has recently come into your care or has been with you for years, a first visit to the Adoption Medicine Clinic can happen at any time. Either way, we are here to support you and the child in your care. As a consultative clinic, we will work in coordination with your primary care pediatrician, rather than in place of your regular pediatric care.
For a clinic visit, please call 612-365-6777.
An initial screening includes:
- complete physical examination
- initial development status
- laboratory evaluation
- time to address your questions about your child's adjustment to a potentially new home
Please allow 2 hours for the first visit.
Typically, a 3- or 6-month follow-up visit is recommended to recheck labs and developmental progress. View our screening tests.
Issues We Can Help With
- Adjustment and transition (see also Child Mental Health, Development and Transition Clinic)
- Attachment and social-emotional development
- Cognitive function
- Domestic adoption issues
- Endocrine issues
- Fetal alcohol effects (see also FASD evaluations)
- Infectious diseases
- Occupational/physical therapy
- Pre-existing medical conditions