Preadoption Medical Reviews
A Preadoption Medical Review is a full review, by a medical doctor, of the information you receive in a referral for a child (or children). Preadoption Medical Reviews are completed within 24 or 72 hours, depending on which time frame you select (payment options are listed below). This initial fee covers all follow-up questions and updates for this specific child until you obtain legal guardianship of the child. The initial review is sent via email. You may then submit via the Log, any follow-up questions you may have and upload any further updates you receive. Every new question and update submitted will be reviewed, and you will receive an email with the reviewer’s response. With personalized attention, unlimited opportunities to interact with the reviewer, and access to multiple specialists around the University of Minnesota, the fees for a preadoption medical review are a wise investment for your family. Click the button below to log in or create an account to begin the Preadoption Medical Review Process.
24-hr medical review ($700 weekdays, $800 weekends and University of Minnesota holidays)*
72-hr medical review ($550 new client, $450 return clients who have previously had a preadoption medical review performed for another child)
* Weekend and Holiday reviews are only completed upon request. Weekend rates start on Friday at 4:30 pm and end at 11:59 pm (CT) on Sunday. Holiday rates start at 3:00 pm the night before the holiday and end at 11:59 pm (CT) the day of the holiday.
Once the file has been submitted and all necessary documents uploaded, the medical reviewer begins to work on the review. Thus, we cannot offer a refund once the review process has begun.
Submitting files for siblings/relatives (with the intent to adopt together):
When creating a child profile, select the box "This child is related to another child I am submitting a medical review for today". By selecting that box, you only pay for one preadoption medical review, which covers the reviews of the sibling group. You will still need to create a separate file for each child so that the specific medical records and associated reviewers comments for each individual child are kept together.
Each Preadoption Medical Review Includes:
One-to-one, personalized attention
Secure online, in-writing responses you can download for your records
Optional phone call with the reviewer
Unlimited opportunities to ask questions
Consultations with additional University of Minnesota specialists, as needed
Consultation assistance while you are traveling to meet your child
Eligibility to obtain a letter to try to approve waiver of the waiting period
Ability to request medical necessity letter
Information that Should be Included in a Child's Preadoption Medical Review Profile
- Child's Birth History
- Height, Weight & Head Circumference
- Gestational age
- Maternal History: infection, medications, alcohol/drug/cigarette use, other pregnancies & outcomes
- Type of delivery & complications, if any
- Post delivery complications, if any
- Family (maternal & paternal) history of hereditary diseases
- Social History: primarily the reason why the child is available for adoption
- Physical Exam including current height, weight and head circumference
- Lab Screens: Complete blood count with differential, hepatitis B surface antigen, HIV 1 & 2 antibodies, screen for syphilis, hepatitis C antibody
- Medical History (e.g. any problems identified since birth such as congenital heart or kidney disease, developmental delays, etc.)
- Developmental Milestones: gross and fine motor/social/language skills (see American Academy of Pediatrics Ages & Stages site for milestone information)
- Photos: Most helpful photos show the child's face straight on looking into the camera with mouth in a neutral position or photos of any abnormal skin, limb or other findings on an exam.
- Video(s): Most helpful footage is focused on the child & captures the child in motion
If you don't have all of this information, go ahead and send us what you have. We will review the existing information and help you pull together a list of additional questions to ask your agency.
How to View a Reviewers' Response
Upload Additional Documents for Review
- Log into you AMC Family Portal
- Click on "Update Existing" and select the profile you would like to update.
- Click on the pencil icon located on the left side of the child's profile
- Upload relevant documents or updates
For Photos: When uploading multiple photos, please merge all photos into a single Word/PDF document (one photo per page).
For Documents: Each medical document or child related file can be uploaded individually (ie. Do not merge all medical documents into a single PDF). Do not upload files as a .zip file, compressed folder or a CIM file. Our reviewers are unable to open these and it will result in a delay in the review.
How to Ask the Reviewer a Question
- Log into your AMC Family Portal
- In the "Pre Adoption Medical Review" section, click on "Update Existing"
- Click on the Child's Profile
- Select "View Responses/Submit Questions"
- Click on "Post a question for the reviewer in regards to this response" on the latest response
Domestic Prenatal Medical Review
We review and comment on all aspects of the child's referral information: growth, development, infectious disease status, social and medical history and birth parents' social and medical history (if available). We also evaluate their long-term risk for alcohol or other prenatal exposures.