Schedule a Clinic Visit Today!
No matter how long you've been together, a first visit to the Adoption Medicine Clinic can happen at any time - whether you've been together as a family for one week or ten years. Of course, the first visit for a brand new adoptee will look different than for a child who has been with you for a long time. Either way, we are a consultative clinic, so we work in coordination with your primary care pediatrician, rather than in place of your regular pediatric care provider.
For a clinic visit, please call 612-365-6777.
An initial screening should ideally be scheduled within 2-3 weeks after your child's arrival to the U.S. The visit includes:
- Complete physical examination
- Initial development status
- Laboratory evaluation
- Time to address your questions regarding your child's adjustment
Please allow 2 hours for the first visit.
Typically, a 3- or 6-month follow-up visit is recommended to recheck labs and developmental progress. View our screening tests.
Issues We Can Help With
- Adjustment and transition (see also Child Mental Health, Development and Transition Clinic)
- Attachment and social-emotional development
- Cognitive function
- Domestic adoption issues
- Endocrine issues
- Fetal alcohol effects (see also FASD evaluations)
- Infectious diseases
- Occupational/physical therapy
- Pre-existing medical conditions
Especially For Older Children
If your child has already been home for a while, we offer a more focused visit which includes: review of parent concerns, review of the child’s pre- and post-adoption medical and social history, a complete physical examination (depending on reported concerns) and lab testing and referrals, as needed.