Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Program
With a 70-year history, our residency program has a reputation for excellence in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
PM&R residents at the University of Minnesota Medical School receive an outstanding training experience to prepare for a wide variety of careers in physiatry. Rotation sites range from inpatient to outpatient, private hospitals to public hospitals with an emphasis on academic medicine.
Our residency and fellowship programs ensure our trainees gain access to real-world experience under the guidance of our top doctors, medical staff, and researchers. We offer four categorical positions annually. One advance position is offered every other year.
Our residents have gone on to advance their education by completing fellowships and joining academic and private practices. See where our residents go after training.
Program & Policy Manuals
PM&R Residency Program Aims
- We aim to recruit medical students that are interested in a comprehensive training program to best prepare them for their future plans.
- We aim to provide support to our diverse local community both through clinical care as well as outreach programs focused on disabled populations or areas where our expertise can be utilized. This is accomplished by recruiting and retaining a diverse group of resident trainees via a process that is inclusive and equitable for all involved.
- We aim to equip our trainees to be educators in a variety of settings including patients they will treat, teams they will lead, and the larger community. This can be achieved by our educator track for those wishing to receive specialized training in education.
- We aim to develop a strong research program that fosters an environment of scientific inquiry leading to investigation and dissemination of knowledge and research findings.
- We aim to provide a rich and diverse environment of training in our resident complement, clinical opportunities, and other experiences.
- We aim to ensure a robust mentorship program aimed at supporting the residents in all aspects of their personal and professional development.