The Department of Urology offers two elective clerkships for third to fourth-year medical students:
Urology 7200 provides the basic principles of urology you are likely to see and encounter in a general medical practice. Register for either a two- or four-week block in this rotation.
Adult urology training sites
If you elect adult urology for UROL 7200, you will spend time at the following training sites:
If you elect a two-week block for adult urology, you will select to train at one site. If you elect a four-week block, you will select two sites to train at.
Our elective clerkship provides intense exposure to the specialty.
Your advanced four week rotation will take place at either the University of Minnesota Medical Center or the Minneapolis VA Medical Center. Both sites will expose you to operative and non-operative management of all major urologic diseases, including:
- Male and female voiding dysfunction
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Stone disease
Through this clerkship, you function as an active, integral member of our healthcare team as you:
- Have intern-like inpatient management responsibilities
- Are exposed to multiple minimally invasive techniques such as robotic and laparoscopic surgery
- Participate in weekly conferences
- Actively participate in operating room activities, including laparoscopic surgical techniques
- Learn and demonstrate some basic urologic surgical techniques and approaches