Dr. Wu is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand, upper extremity, and microvascular surgery. Dr. Wu's clinical expertise includes hand and upper extremity disorders, trauma and fracture care, arthritis and degenerative conditions, periarticular injuries of the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder, sports injuries, wrist arthroscopy, tendon repair, peripheral nerve surgery, upper extremity tumors, and microsurgical reconstruction. His utmost priority is to treat patients with cutting-edge, personalized care of the highest quality. He cares for all of his patients with compassion, and is dedicated to improving their quality of life. He listens to his patients and works with them to develop a treatment plan best suited for their needs.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Wu is committed to advancing the science and education of orthopedics and hand surgery. His scholarly work in translational orthopedic research and training residents, fellows, and medical students is driven by his commitment to improving the care of patients. His research interests include orthopedic innovation and minimally-invasive techniques for the hand and wrist, quality and safety of upper extremity orthopedic care, improving patient outcomes, upper extremity tumors, and wrist biomechanics. He was the recipient of a research grant from the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. He has published multiple peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and has lectured at national conferences.
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
Awards & Recognition
- ASSH/AFSH 75th Annual Meeting Scholarship Recipient, 2020
- ASSH 74th Annual Meeting Invited Speaker (Academic Career Development Session), 2019
- Stanford University Clinical Post-Doctoral Scholar Recognition for Grant Recipients, 2018
- American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand (AFSH) Fast Track Clinical Research Award, 2018
- Wu EJ, Zhang SE, Truntzer JN, Gardner MJ, Kamal RN. Cost-Minimization Analysis and Treatment Trends of Surgical and Nonsurgical Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2020 Aug; 45(8): 698-706. PMID: 32482497.
- Mertz K, Truntzer J, Wu EJ, Barnes J, Eppler S, Kamal RN. National Trends in the Diagnosis of CRPS after Open and Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release. J Wrist Surgery. 2019 Jun; 8(3): 209-214. PMID: 31192042.
- Githens T, DeBaun MR, Campbell ST, Wu EJ, Goodnough LH, Lichstein P, Painter C, Krygier JE, Bishop J, Gardner MJ. Rates of Perioperative Complications Among Patients Undergoing Orthopedic Trauma Surgery Despite Having Positive Results for Methamphetamine. Orthopedics. 2019 Jul 1; 42(4): 192-196. PMID: 31136677
- Pipino G, Risitano S, Alviano F, Wu EJ, Bonsi L, Vaccarisi DC, Indelli PF. Microfractures and hydrogel scaffolds in the treatment of osteochondral knee defects: a clinical and histological evaluation. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019 Jan Feb; 10(1): 67-75. PMID: 30705535.
- Wu EJ, Yao J. Arthroscopic Dorsal Wrist Ganglion Excision with Colored Dye-Aided Stalk Resection. In: Mathoulin, C, ed. Wrist Arthroscopy Techniques. 2nd ed. Stuttgart, Germany: Thieme Publishers; 2018.
- Wu EJ, Goussetis DJ, Beauchamp E, Kosciuczuk EM, Altman JK, Eklund EA, Platanias LC. Resveratrol enhances the suppressive effects of arsenic trioxide on primitive leukemic progenitors. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 2014 Apr; 15(4): 473-478. PMID: 24496081.
- Wu EJ, Goussetis DJ, Platanias LC. Enhancing effect of resveratrol on the antileukemic effects of arsenic trioxide. Cancer Research. 2013 Apr; 73(8). doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2013-590.
- Goussetis DJ, Gounaris E, Wu EJ, Vakana E, Sharma B, Bogyo M, Altman JK, Platanias LC. Autophagic egradation of the BCR-ABL oncoprotein and generation of antileukemic responses by arsenic trioxide. Blood. 2012 Oct; 120(17): 3555-3562. PMID: 22898604.
- Goussetis DJ, Gounaris E, Wu EJ, Vakana E, Sharma B, Bogyo M, Altman JK, Platanias LC. Autophagic degradation of BCR/ABL by arsenic trioxide and the role of cysteine cathepsins. Cancer Research. 2012 Apr; 72(8). doi:1538-7445.AM2012-LB-81
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (Candidate Member), 2018-present
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (Candidate Member), 2015-present
- California Orthopaedic Association, 2015-2021
- American Medical Association, 2011-2015
- Chicago Medical Society, 2011-2015
- Orthopedic innovation
- Minimally-invasive techniques for the hand and wrist
- Basilar thumb osteoarthritis
- Wrist biomechanics
- Carpal instability
- Compression neuropathies
- Quality and safety in orthopedic surgery
- Upper extremity tumors
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fractures; Finger and thumb injuries; Carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel release; Joint replacements of the elbow, wrist, and hand; Tendon repair and reconstruction; Tendon transfers; Peripheral nerve surgery and nerve transfers; Brachial plexus injuries; Dupuytren’s disease; Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis; Kienbock’s disease; Upper extremity tumors; Hand infections and osteomyelitis; Nonunions and malunions; Wrist arthroscopy; Microvascular surgery and soft tissue reconstruction
University of Minnesota Medical Center, MHealth Fairview Ridges Hospital (Burnsville)
M Health Fairview Clinics & Surgery Center
909 Fulton Street SE,
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Orthopedic Surgery (4th Floor) | (612) 672-7100
University of Minnesota
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
2450 Riverside Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55454