Health Equity Leadership & Mentoring Program
To enhance the academic excellence and leadership capacity of diverse faculty and health disparities researchers at the University of Minnesota to reduce health inequities
- Seminar Series Sessions: Fellows who are accepted into the program attend monthly seminar series sessions. In addition to traditional academic career development topics, seminars will cover critical topics in health equity research and leadership, i.e. cultural resonance and diversity, micro-aggressions and historical trauma, and the continuing impact of institutional racism on professional development in the 21st century.
- Mentoring: Fellows are matched with a senior level faculty mentor. Mentors in the program offer training on cultural diversity with proven methods to enhance mentoring effectiveness. Current mentor/mentee dyads can be considered for the program.
Who Should Apply?
The HELM program was designed specifically for UMN faculty and post-doctoral trainees who self-identify as a member of a community impacted by health inequities* and/or whose research addresses health disparities.
*Examples include, but not limited to: BIPOC, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, first-generation, rural, low SES, etc...
- Receive $250 in career development funds
- Mileage reimbursement for attending HELM seminars and events
- Opportunities to meet with local and national leaders on topics of leadership development and health equity issues
- Priority consideration for local and national professional development opportunities
- Develop a professional network with other health equity scholars
- Obtain a plaque upon successful completion of the program
Expectations for HELM Fellows include:
- Attend the kickoff seminar - Friday, September 16, 2022 9am - 1pm CT
- The seminar series is held on the 3rd Friday of each month (October 2022 - June 2023) from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm*
- Must be able to attend 7 seminar series sessions
- Seminar dates:
- Oct. 21, 2022
- Nov. 11, 2022 (2nd Friday of the month)
- Dec. 16, 2022
- Jan. 20, 2023
- Feb. 17, 2023
- Mar. 17, 2023
- Apr. 21, 2023
- Meet at least three times with your assigned HELM mentor over the course of the program
- Complete an individual development plan, which includes a self-assessment, short and long-term goal setting, etc. that will be reviewed at each mentor meeting
- Participate in the mentor/fellow matching process, which may include short introductory meetings with potential mentors
- Complete program evaluations
- Provide post-program updates to program staff
"This experience really pushed me toward more clearly defining that I want research, particularly focused on health equity, as part of my career and has helped me see a way forward for this."~2021-2022 HELM Fellow