Bi-annual application deadlines - January 15 and September 1.
The Program in Health Disparities Research (PHDR) in the University of Minnesota’s Medical School supports meritorious health disparities-related projects and research conducted by University of Minnesota trainees (graduate student or postdoctoral associate/fellow). Travel scholarships for a trainee to attend regional or national health disparities-related conferences are competitively awarded quarterly. Funds for these awards are made available by PHDR.
PHDR will contribute up to $500 for a trainee's conference registration fees, transportation and/or lodging expenses. As a guideline, applications should be received at least three months prior to travel.
Trainee awards should meet the following criteria:
- The trainee applicant must be a current graduate student or postdoctoral trainee in any program at the University of Minnesota.
- PHDR summer interns ARE eligible to apply.
- The trainee must be presenting at conference. The abstract that was submitted to the conference must be included in the application.
- The conference or presentation must be relevant to health disparities.
- A minimum of $250 in matching funds must be guaranteed from trainee's mentor(s), home department or other sources.
- No more than one award per person per year. Preference is given to applicants who have not previously received an award.
- Preference will be given to registered PHDR members. A new PHDR membership or membership renewal can be submitted at the time of the application. How membership works and how to apply.
- The requested award should include reimbursement for the following: registration fees, transportation and/or lodging.
- Applicants must provide a brief statement of how the conference supports their educational training and goals.
Agreement for Trainee Travel Awards
- If funded, a short written summary of the conference experience must be submitted to PHDR within 1 month after the conference takes place (no more than ½ page). Where appropriate, a brief in-person report at the PHDR monthly meeting on the conference will be requested.
- PHDR support must be acknowledged in the presentation (PHDR will provide a template for this for either a poster or oral presentation with slides).
Submitting an Application
To submit an application for the travel award, please complete the online application. The application will be reviewed and the applicant will be notified of the application status within two weeks after the deadline.
- Awarded applicants must list PHDR on his/her poster and/or PowerPoint presentation.
- The Program name should be listed as: Program in Health Disparities Research at the University of Minnesota Medical School
- To obtain the official wordmark, please contact PHDR at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All awards will be made in the form of a reimbursement after the conference. Requests for reimbursement must be submitted within two weeks of return. Please submit the following to PHDR at email@example.com:
- Employee Expense Worksheet Form.
- Fill out employee/student ID, name, email address, home mailing address, travel destination, travel dates.
- Give a detailed justification (who, what, where, why, and when) for each reimbursement item. This should include the name of the conference, dates you attended, title of your presentation, requested items for reimbursement (e.g. registration fees, transportation and/or lodging)
- Fill out the itemized expenses and dollar amounts
- Sign and date bottom of the form
- Original receipts
- A PDF copy of the poster or PowerPoint presented at the conference. The document will be kept in program files.