The Isbaar Project
In a partnership between University of Washington, the University of Minnesota, M Health Fairview and People's Center Clinics and Services, this study will assess the implementation of an HPV self-sampling intervention in primary care that is culturally-tailored for Somali women and designed to increase cervical cancer screening participation. Primary care clinic-based HPV self-sampling could effectively increase cervical cancer screening rates in Somali women by positioning providers to address some key screening barriers, enabling clinics to opportunistically fit in HPV self-sampling in the clinical encounter, and providing an alternative modality for patients.
- Use focus groups and semi-structured interviews to assess the patient-, provider-, clinic- and system-level factors that may influence Somali women’s uptake of HPV self-sampling.
- Implement an HPV self-sampling intervention for Somali women in three primary care clinics and compare changes in women’s screening uptake pre and post intervention with M-Health Fairview control clinics followed over the same time period.
- Conduct semi-structured interviews to assess the barriers and facilitators to implementation of HPV self-sampling in primary care for Somali women, and use an implementation science approach to develop a model of implementation.
- The study will be conducted in over 4 ½ years, from June 2021 – December 2025
- M Health Fairview Clinic - Smiley's, Minneapolis, MN
- People’s Center Clinics & Services, Minneapolis, MN
- Community-University Health Care Clinic, Minneapolis, MN
Multiple Principal Investigators
Rahel Ghebre, MD, MPH | University of MN
Tim Ramer, MD | MHealth Fairview, Smiley's Family Medicine Clinic
Adam Szpiro, PhD | University of Washington
Bryan Weiner, PhD | University of Washington
Sophia Yohe, MD | University of MN
Christina Bliss Barsness | University of MN | Project Manager
Kristi Fordyce | University of MN | Research Facilitator
John Lin | University of Washington | Data Manager
Jay Desai, PhD, MPH | MN Department of Health
Wali Dirie | Islamic Civic Society of America (ICSA)
Anisa Ibrahim, MD | Washington State Somali Health Board & Harborview Pediatric Clinic Seattle
Imam Sharif Mohamed | Dar al-Hijra Islamic Center