Visiting Medical Students
The Department of Neurosurgery invites qualified fourth-year medical students to participate in the Away Rotation or Externship program at the University of Minnesota.
The rotation is:
- Four weeks long
- Requires call
- You are expected to perform at an almost intern level.
A strong understanding of neuro-anatomy, neurophysiology, and neuropathology grounded in the first two years of medical school is required. Each year, we take several medical students for this experience.
The objective is to prepare you for a career in neurosurgery, particularly in academic neurosurgery. Presentations are required. Participation in basic and translational research is abundantly available with our neurosurgical laboratories.
- UMN Visiting Medical Scholar Program (policies, resources, etc.)
- Off-site housing
- Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS, hosted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, AAMC)
- General program information (expectations, requirements, resources, etc.)
- Hotels near the University of Minnesota
Contact our Residency Coordinator at 612-624-0912.