Carolina Sandoval Garcia
Dr. Sandoval is a pediatric neurosurgeon whose clinical interests include hydrocephalus, brain and spinal cord tumors, cerebrovascular abnormalities, craniofacial disorders/craniosynostosis, spina bifida and developmental abnormalities, and pediatric epilepsy.
A native of Colombia, Dr. Sandoval received her Academic Baccalaureate from Trinidad del Monte School and her MD from University Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, both in Bogotá. Following medical school, she completed her neurological surgery residency at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison, and a year-long fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery at University of Miami – Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami, FL.
Pediatric neurosurgery was especially attractive to Dr. Sandoval because caring for children when she was in training was "particularly gratifying. They are the most resilient patient population," she said. "Their unique strength and determination to get better gave me extra motivation to push myself further as I cared for them."
While she was a resident, Dr. Sandoval spent a month at the AIC Kijabe Medical Center in Kenya under the mentorship of former instructor Leland Albright, MD. The experience taught her to be resourceful and "to think outside the box" to find solutions for her patients. It also gave her teaching experience as she helped train local neurosurgical residents.
When Dr. Sandoval has time away from work, she enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and cats. She also enjoys reading, running, playing basketball and tennis, watching movies and listening to music.
- MD, University Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia
- Neurological Surgery, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison
- Pediatric Neurosurgery, University of Miami – Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, Miami, FL
- AB, Academic Baccalaureate, Trinidad del Monte School, Bogotá, Colombia
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Section of Neurological Surgery
- Florida Medical Association
- AANS/CNS Joint Cerebrovascular Section
- AANS/CNS Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- International Headache Society
- North American Spine Society
- Wisconsin Medical Society
Administrative Phone: 612-624-6666 (hit 4 for the Academic Office)
Administrative Email: email@example.com
Administrative Fax Number: 612-624-0644
Dr. Sandoval is excited about being able to combine a busy clinical practice with research initiatives. Her research will emphasize her clinical interests in conditions such as epilepsy, vascular pathology, and hydrocephalus. "My previous work focused on image-based initiatives," she said. To extend and add to that work, particularly in field of epilepsy surgery, she aims to establish multidisciplinary collaborations with other departments, primarily neurology, radiology, and the Center for Magnetic Resonance Research.
Pediatric neurosurgery, Epilepsy, Hydrocephalus, Spina bifida, Tethered spinal cord, Craniofacial disorders, Brain tumors
AddressAcademic Office Building
Minneapolis, MN 55454-1450