WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY & BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA!
We are a fluid and adaptable “team of teams” thriving together from our shared sense of mission, our interacting connections, and our overlapping projects and goals.
- Create and disseminate new knowledge in the science of mental health
- Provide effective and innovative clinical care programs to alleviate the suffering of mental illness and promote mental resilience
- Train the next generation of interprofessional experts who will be leaders in Minnesota and beyond
- Engage in compassionate and vigorous outreach and advocacy on issues relevant to psychiatric illness, treatment, and research
We collaborate actively within the rich scientific ecosystem at the University of Minnesota (e.g., see NeuroPRSMH) and have a broad range of research programs that include:
- Creativity Camps for suicidal adolescents | RAD Lab
- Innovative invasive and non-invasive neuromodulation approaches, with projects ranging from basic science experiments to a focus on improving access for marginalized groups | NNL Lab | TNE Lab | IPL Lab
- Cutting-edge neural recording, neuroimaging and data science methods for treatment-resistant depression, psychosis, eating disorders, and adolescent substance use | Schallmo Lab | Herman-Darrow Lab | Minnesota Center for Eating Disorder Research
- Nationally networked learning healthcare system in early psychosis | CoTIPP Lab
Our clinical programs
- Team-based care with specialized clinics for adult ADD, medically complex patients, addictions, treatment-resistant depression, psychosis across the lifespan, trauma/anxiety, autism spectrum disorders, childhood anxiety and mood disorders..
- Nationally recognized expertise in adolescent depression, early psychosis, and treatment-resistant depression.
State-of-the-art interventional psychiatry program offering TMS, ECT, VNS, PFCS, and ketamine. Research trial in psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy.
Our educational programs
- In addition to medical school courses, clerkships, and electives, we offer a General Psychiatry Residency and Fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, Addiction Medicine, and Neuromodulation Medicine.
- We offer Clinical Training opportunities for learners in Psychology (pediatric internship, post-doctoral and practicum level), Social Work (internship), Marriage and Family Therapy (practicum), and Nurse Practitioner programs.
- Research trainees at the post-bac, graduate student and postdoc level work with many of our research faculty. We also lead or participate in several T32 post-doc training programs, including T32s in Mental Health and Substance Use and in Computational Psychiatry.
Our outreach, advocacy, and equity work
The fourth pillar of our mission is advocacy, equity, and inclusivity. Our residents and faculty are actively involved in podcasts, social media outreach, and a range of community educational forums with rigorous involvement in health equity and inclusivity initiatives. Our active division of Inclusive Excellence and Well-Being (IEWB) supports all of us on this journey and the work of our IEWB Council affirms that diversity in all forms is the critical path to excellence in each of our mission areas.
Again, welcome to our website. We hope you will enjoy learning about the many facets of our department. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or to my Executive Assistant directly.
Sophia Vinogradov, MD
Professor and Head
Donald W. Hastings Endowed Chair
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Executive Administrative Assistant