New Employee Training

Immunology-Welcome to CFI


Welcome to the Center for Immunology

Before you start working at the bench there are things you need to do to satisfy safety and security regulations at the U of M.  Once you have finished all the required training modules present the completed list and a copy of your training records to your lab manager as it will serve as the IACUC required staff training record.  We need to keep a record of training for every person in the lab.  

New Employee Checklist

Most of the labs have their own web page, check your PI's bio sketch for a link.  You will find current group meeting schedules, lab publications, protocols, pictures, and more! 

1. Obtain an x500:
Make sure you have an x500 so you can get your Ucard and email account set up.  This is assigned either at your college orientation if you are a student or upon completion of your employment forms through Human Resources. A good place for new employees: start here or checklist for new employees. 

2. Malzona Anderson and Daria Kolganova:
Introduce yourself to Malzona Anderson and Daria Kolganova, executive secretaries for the Center for Immunology (Daria is at 2-144 WMBB, 612-626-2403 and Mal is at 2-140 WMBB, 612-625-0973). They can help get approved U Card access for you, get you set up on payroll, ensure mail gets to you, put you on the THYMUS and CFI e-mail Listserves, show you the fax machine, copier, etc.  If you already have access through another lab in the building please let them know so your access can be transferred to the appropriate lab. 

3. CFI website:
You've already found the site!!  Now bookmark it and use it often, the front page is updated weekly and the calendar will guide you to the important seminars you will want to attend.  We also want you to be a part of the site, please provide the webmaster with your name as you would like it to appear, your degree(s), college graduated and year degrees awarded, your current program and advisor and your research interest.  Also attach a picture of yourself in either .jpeg or .png form. Click here to send an email to provide website feedback.

4. U Card access to WMBB: 
Prior to being granted building access, the following need to be completed:  you can either go to U Card Home or follow links below:

          A.)  Employee/Student Access form: Once you have your U Card, complete this step.

          B.)  Required training: All training must be complete to gain access to RBMS buildings

  • Radiation Safety Orientation
    • Follow the instructions on the ULearn website to take "Radiation Safety Orientation"
    • This site requires a valid UMN Internet ID
    • Take the training. Be sure to complete all 5 sections and the final quiz
    • When finished: print a copy of your final quiz/completion certificate and bring to any RFSS information desk for verification
  • Bloodborne Pathogen Training
    • University Health and Safety offers two Bloodborne Pathogen training courses for University of Minnesota faculty, students, staff, guest researchers, and volunteers. Taking either one of these trainings will satisfy access requirements for building access in an open lab environment. 
    • Again: only ONE of the training courses needs to be completed for access. To take the training please: 
    • Choose which training you will need to take.
    • Click on the link for UHS111 Bloodborne Pathogens Building Access Only
    • Click on the link for UHS110 Bloodborne Pathogens Annual OSHA Requirement if you will be working with bloodborne pathogens as part of your research.
    • Log into the training website.
    • Scroll down to Green Button "+Enroll in Course" to click on the link to the training
    • Be sure that you are taking the appropriate training: Bloodborne Pathogen Building Access only for those requiring access to open labs OR Bloodborne Pathogen Annual OSHA Requirement for those working with BBP in the lab.
      1. Please be sure to complete all modules and the final training quiz

           C.)  Supervisor Approval form: To be completed by Faculty or Principal Investigator (PI), lab manager, program director, Department Administrator, or a designated approver.

           D.) U Card Verification: Bring your U Card and another form of ID to the WMBB info desk and fill out “Bldg-Mgmt Info Form”. 

5. HIPPA: 
Take the appropriate online Health Information Protection (HIPPA) e-courses (if you are a full-time U of M student or employee).

6. IACUC/RAR access:
Most of the labs have an IACUC protocol that you will need to have specific training in order to work on the protocol.  In order to work with animal models at the U, read and follow the steps from the RAR Facility Access & Training. Make sure the following are completed:

    1. Remind your PI or lab manager to add you to their animal protocol (they will need your X500 number and your employee/student ID number for this).  This must be done first!!  No training will be allowed until you are on a protocol. For a full list of IACUC requirements: click here
    2. Complete the on-line Animal Use tutorial about working with laboratory animals at RAR TrainingNOTE: a copy of the documentation that you took this training must be kept in the lab, so please give a copy of your completion certificate to the lab manager.
    3. All faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who work with animals are required to enroll in the Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP), which is guided in part by IACUC's ROHP Requirements for Animal Health Policy. ROHP consists of training requirements and medical requirements, which are assigned based on the species of animal to which you are exposed and the type of work you do.

      Species-specific requirements:
      All Personnel working with or around non-human primates or their housing areas must review
      IACUC Guidelines for Tuberculosis ROHP Requirements, which includes a one-time training and annual tuberculosis screening.
      Once you are enrolled in ROHP, you will be notified of requirements via email. You can log in to the OHS Portal at any time to check the status of these requirements on your portal page. Find complete ROHP instructions here. You will receive an email with further instructions.  Follow the link provided in that e-mail.  Make sure you have had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, its also a good idea to either have the clinic's name and phone numbers where shot was administered or a copy of your medical records for submission to ROHP.

    4.  Go to Vet Services Training. Complete the appropriate forms and sign up for the appropriate training sessions you will need, see your lab manager for lab specific needs.
  1. You’ll need to set up an: RAR Orientation,Facility Tour,Microisolator Techniques: all training times are listed on a calendar at the bottom of the RAR Services page, under the Required Training section.

    RAR Orientation – Offered Weekly (duration approx. 90 minutes)-You will be introduced to the general principles of the disease control practices used in the Research Animal Resources facilities. Facility traffic patterns and guidelines will be covered, along with procedures used in animal rooms. Many of RAR’s additional services for investigators will also be discussed.
    Facility Tours – Most tours occur immediately after Orientation, others are offered weekly, and St. Paul tours are by appointment - call 612-624-9100 to inquire.  You will have a tour around the facility you will be working in, and see the various rooms and equipment you will be using.  You will also receive training in CO2 euthanasia for rodents.
    Microisolator Technique Training - Offered Weekly.  SPF rodent colonies at the University of Minnesota utilize the microisolator system of filtered cages to exclude organisms that can be detrimental to research, including mouse hepatitis virus, mouse parvovirus, rat Sendai virus and Mycoplasma pulmonis. These cages can only be opened under a laminar flow hood or biosafety cabinet using specific techniques.
  2. Ask for a list of approved procedures performed on mice in your lab from the lab manager so you know what other training is needed.  Get hands-on training from other lab personnel or set up training with RAR personnel.  When completed have the lab manager add your training info to RAR Training document.   
  3. If you will also be working with BSL-2 agents, you will need to be added to the appropriate IBC protocol.  Go to the IBC training site.  You will need to launch the Biological Safety in the Laboratory training module and complete this training.  If you will be working with recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules you will also need to complete the training under Implementation of NIH guidelines. 

7. Lab Safety: Go to On-line Lab Safety Training and complete the training for:

8. Lab Specific Training: 
This is done by the lab manager and will include a lab tour and an opportunity for you to ask some questions regarding the specific lab practices.  Some questions you might have:

    • What is the location and use of safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, chemical hoods, personal protective devices, safety showers, eyewashes, first aid, circuit box if power must be cut, phone for calling 911)?
    • Who is responsible for answering any safety-related questions I may have while working here?
    • What is the fastest route out of this building in case of fire? What is an alternative route?
    • What are the lab's specific procedures for discard of hazardous waste (chemical, radiation, and biological)?
    • Do I have to take any additional training courses (e.g. radioisotope training, infectious materials handling, bloodborne pathogen training) before beginning work?
    • Is there a list of equipment and materials with locations indicated for this lab? If not, who should I talk to when I am looking for something?
    • What are the lab's procedures for use of common equipment and clean-up of shared space, equipment and materials?
    • What and where are the water sources in this lab (i.e. distilled, deionized, ultrapure, tissue-culture grade)?
    • Are there any other lab rules, policies, or procedures I should be aware of? 

9. Further Training: