I am an Associate Professor for the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and a faculty member at the Bakken Center for Spirituality and Healing. I received my M.D. from the Wayne State University School of Medicine and obtained my psychiatry residency training at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). As part of my training I served as a Chief Resident of the UCLA Behavioral Health Clinic, completed the UCLA Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, and pursued additional training in mindfulness and integrative medicine. I am a graduate of the UCLA Center for East-West Medicine Fellowship and a Diplomate of the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine. I have a particular focus on adult ADHD and mindfulness-based interventions.
Through my research work as the UCLA Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar, I pioneered the application of mindfulness in ADHD and co-developed the Mindful Awareness Practices (MAPs) for the ADHD program. I am a founding member of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research and an author of an award-winning book The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD: An 8-Step Program for Strengthening Attention, Managing Emotions, and Achieving Your Goals, and a second book Mindfulness for Adult ADHD: A Clinician’s Guide.
At the University of Minnesota, I serve as one of the key faculty of the UMN Adult Psychiatry Residency Program where I am an outpatient clinic supervisor for psychiatrists-in-training. I direct the Adult ADHD Clinic and lead the Integrative Psychiatry and Wellness Program. I am also a member of the Wellbeing and Impact Committee, Climate Committee, and Grand Rounds Committee.
(for academic support only)
In the Media
- 2023: Featured in this Wondermind article titled, “What Is Inattentive ADHD, and Do I Have It?”
- 2023: Featured in this issue of Childart dedicated to mindfulness. Her article titled, “Take Small Steps, Notice Your Emotions,” is on pages 26-27
- 2023: Featured in this Time online article titled, “What's Driving the Demand for ADHD Drugs Like Adderall.”
- 2023: Quoted in the Wondermind article titled, “Hold up, ADHD is a disability?”
- 2023: Quoted in this MedScape article titled, “ADHD Exacts Higher Mental Health Toll vs Autism in Adults.”
- 2022: Quoted in this Huffington Post piece titled, “What It’s Really Like To Parent When You Have ADHD.”
- 2022: Featured in this online article titled, “Women with ADHD & ASD are Starting to Get Accurately Diagnosed — But it's Decades Late.”
- 2022: Featured in this piece titled, “Talking adult ADHD with U of M,” and this MPR piece, “No longer just a kid thing: more women diagnosed with ADHD later in life.
- 2022: Featured in this article titled, “Calm space: How to meditate when your brain wavers and you can't sit still”.
- 2022: Quoted in a Harper’s Bazaar article titled, “Coming Into Focus,” about a woman growing up with ADHD