Tuskegee University Internship Collaboration
Planning your career as a physician and looking for meaningful work to round out your studies? ...
Spend your summer with us!
The Department of Surgery in collaboration with Tuskegee University, have partnered together to provide an opportunity for Tuskegee University undergraduates who are interested in medicine with an immersion internship experience on our Twin Cities campus.
Undergraduates engage in clinical observation, work on faculty-sponsored projects and participate in educational seminars from renowned leaders throughout our institution and the Twin Cities community — all while exploring and experiencing the variety of activities Minnesota has to offer. This eight-week paid program is open to students who have completed their sophomore or junior year at Tuskegee University and are interested in becoming a physician. Our summer 2023 internship will start in June and run through July.
- Shadowing experiences - participate in clinics and operating suites alongside surgeons and physicians
- Research opportunities - experience hands on research in labs, with the goal of creating a research poster for presentation
- Core curriculum - Learn more about how to navigate the medical school application process, MCAT Prep, What does the ‘day in the life’ of a medical student look like? How about a surgery resident?
- Social/cultural activities - tentatively plans include a tour of the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum, Site Visit to the George Floyd Memorial, Minn. Twins or St. Paul Saints Baseball Game, + more.
- Lodging and partial meal stipend
- Transportation to and from Minnesota
- Hourly wage of $15/hour (40 hours per week)
- Cost of any immersion activities
- The Department of Surgery in extension with Duchess Harris, JD, PhD, Chair of American Studies at Macalester College and U of M College of Liberal Arts, American Studies 2022 David Noble Lecture Speaker, collaborate to provide additional opportunities for Tuskegee University undergraduates who are interested in medicine with an immersion internship experience on our Twin Cities campus.
Ready to Apply? Application Requirements
- Why do you want to participate in this program?
- Have you participated in a similar program before?
- How will this program benefit you?
- Do you have a specific area of interest in the medical field? If so, what is it and why?
3. Unofficial transcript
4. Two letters of recommendation
Department of Surgery