University of Minnesota:
- Leonard G. Wilson. Medical Revolution in Minnesota: A History of the University of Minnesota Medical School. Saint Paul: Midewiwin Press, 1989.
- Stanford Lehmberg, and Ann M. Pflaum. The University of Minnesota 1945-2000. Minneapolis: Minnesota University Press, 2001.
- J. Arthur Meyers. Masters of Medicine: An Historical Sketch of the College of Medical Sciences University of Minnesota 1888-1966. St. Louis: Warren H. Green, Inc., 1968.
- David L. Dunn and Mary E. Knatterud. “Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.” Archives of Surgery 140 (September 2005): 823–26.
Heart Surgery and Transplantation:
- Monica M. Smith. “Medical Alley (1950s): A Tight-Knit Community of Tinkerers Keeps Hearts Ticking.” In Places of Invention: A Companion to the Exhibition at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of History, edited by Arthur P. Molella and Anna Karvellas, 86–109. Washington D.C., 2015.
- John S. Najarian. The Miracle of Transplantation: The Unique Odyssey of a Pioneer Transplant Surgeon. Medallion Press, 2009.
- G. Wayne Miller. King of Hearts: The True Story of the Maverick Who Pioneered Open Heart Surgery. New York: Random House, 2000.