University of Minnesota Medical Center (UMMC)
UMMC is the core teaching hospital of the University of Minnesota Medical School. Students at this site will work with many of the full-time faculty members in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women’s Health.
- Students at the University will spend four weeks completing general obstetrics and gynecology clinic, labor and delivery, maternal fetal medicine, and gynecologic surgery (either general gynecology or gynecologic oncology).
- All of the rotations, except gynecologic oncology, take place on the Riverside Campus on the West Bank at 2450 Riverside Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55454.
- Parking is available at a discounted student rate, and meals will be the responsibility of the student.
Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC)
HCMC is a public teaching hospital in Minneapolis. It is the third largest hospital in the Twin Cities, based on operating revenue, and one of the largest in the region. HCMC records more than 356,000 patient visits annually to its primary and specialty care clinics. HCMC is also a major teaching site for OB-GYN residents.
- Eight medical students join the team at HCMC each period.
- Meal passes are available to students for call nights.
Regions Hospital is located in St. Paul. It has one of the largest multi-specialty medical staffs in the region, with more than 900 physicians in more than 35 specialties.
- Students will spend 1 week of their 4-week rotation in labor and delivery days including one-weekend day shift
- Students will spend 1 week in benign gyn surgery
- Students will spend 1 week in generalist clinic and ultrasound
- Students will spend 1 week at a specialty clinic: gyn oncology, urogynecology and option for a day at Planned Parenthood
Twin Cities Suburbs
John Haugen and Associates - Edina
John Haugen and Associates is located in Edina, southwest of the Twin Cities.
- Students assigned to the Edina site will also work at Abbot Northwestern and/or Fairview-Southdale Hospitals.
- One student is assigned to the site at a time and will work one-on-one with the site directors and their partners. Students who rotate at John Haugen will attend PBL lectures at one of the main sites of the University, Regions, or HCMC.
Unity Hospital - Fridley (may require travel)
Unity Hospital is located in Fridley, north of the Twin Cities. It is part of the Allina Hospitals & Clinics system.
- One student is assigned to Unity each period.
- Unity students will attend problem-based learning sessions at one of the main sites of the University, Regions or HCMC.
Ridgeview Medical Center - Waconia
Ridgeview Medical Center is located in Waconia, a southwestern suburb approximately 30 miles from the Twin Cities.
- Students will spend their days at the hospital and Western OB/GYN Clinic, adjacent to the hospital
- Students will attend problem-based learning sessions at UMMC-Fairview Riverside
Duluth students will be expected to attend lecture series on the first day of the clerkship on the Twin Cities campus. However, all other didactics will be held in Duluth.
The final exam may be taken at either the Twin Cities or Duluth location. For questions regarding the Duluth site please contact Paula Giusfredi at 218-726-7034 or see the Duluth campus web page.
Essentia Health – St. Mary’s
Essentia Health-St. Mary's Medical Center is northeastern Minnesota's largest hospital located in downtown Duluth.
St. Luke's is a health care system made up of two hospitals in Duluth, MN. The hospitals serve people in northeastern Minnesota, northwestern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
St. Cloud Hospital (travel required)
St. Cloud is located northwest of the Twin Cities and has been a site for obstetrics and gynecology students since 2007.
- Students will work one-on-one with the site director and his partners at St. Cloud Hospital and CentraCare Clinic for Women and Children.
- Housing options may be possible, please contact the Deb Egger-Smith for details.
- Depending on the rotation, students at St. Cloud will attend problem-based learning sessions at one of the main sites of University, Regions, or HCMC.